Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2003 Yamaha Kodiak 400 Won't Move

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 400 Won't Move

Hi there,

Horribly in need of assistance haha. I know very little on ATV's but bought 4 days ago a 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 400, its in Mint condition there is no rust at all so I thought it was a good buy, took it for a drive then transported it home, took it for a drive there, something started to whine and squeak then I heard a snap.. (Sounded like a belt) now the bike wont move. Everything still running, Shifts, Engine no noises, Bike still can be pushed and moved but wont drive..

In NEUTRAL, shaft/clutch spins like normal, when I put the bike in Foward or Reverse, little or no movement from the shaft..

I did not touch the primary clutch yet because if it was the clutch wouldn't it not move in Neutral? .. And the only other thing I did was check the Primary Sheave to see if it was gummed up, cleaned it and put it back. Need some help here first time I have had a ATV and this really sucks... Was hoping to drive it more then 30 minutes after I spent so much on it!!

Any help would be appreciated on what I should do, Thanks a lot everyone

Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the Ultramatic belt drive, the primary, or front sheave, is driven by the output shaft that runs into the front of the motor, inside, just under the cover behind the sheav, is a wet clutch with some shoes and springs that give it the "stall" speed, it needs rpms to spread out the shoes, which grab the outer housing, spinning the output shaft, which spins up the primary sheave, grabs the belt, turns the secondary...and you move. If it moves in neutral but not in drive, then it seems the wet clutch could be shot, or springs broken (the snap you heard) when in drive, the load could be enough to keep the sheave from turning.
Sounds like your only option is pulling both the sheaves, taking the inner cover off, then removing the wet clutch for inspection.