Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

MY KODIAK WONT START: WAS IN DEEP WATER

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 05:02 PM
MrT
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was riding my KODIAK throught ditches and i had no problems going through any of them until this one. I went in it and i completley sunk down in mud and water. I took my other quad to get chains because it obviously was not going to come out. When i pulled it out about 1 hour later it would not start so i had to tow it back to my house. Any of you have any ideas on how to start it again. Thanks

Old 03-19-2001, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

There are several things you need to do.

1) Make sure there is no water in the oil, if there is drain and put new oil in.

2) Check your air breather and make sure there is no water.

3) If there was water in your breather and oil remove the breather and remove the the spark plug prior to draining the oil. Put your hand over the air intake for the carb (where you removed the breather) and crank it several times. This will get the remaining water out of your carb down into your crank case.

4) Remove the spark plug boot and dry it.

If all of the done has been done I don't see any reason why it should start.

Old 03-19-2001, 05:20 PM
Range Rover

I would strongly suggest changing all the fluids, including oil, gas, brake fluid, and front & rear diff fluid (if the water was higher than the top of your vent tubes). You should change the oil again after you've run it for a while, and if, after that, you still see white foam on your dip stick, change it again, and again.... as many times as it takes to get rid of any foam, because foam = water, and you definatly DO NOT want any water left in the oil. You may also want to pull your spark plug and turn it over to blow any water out of the cylander.