Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 350, Kfx400, 400ex, or LTZ400?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the raptor isn't junk, just don't think it would be what he would want.

"If you are riding fast paced trails and nothing needing a 4x4 you would not keep up with a 400 from either manufacture with comparable riders on a wolverie or scrambler, the 400s are lighter and much more nimble."

I guess I just don't see the appeal of the sport only quads as much. I've ridden a Raptor 660 and it seemed tame enough to me, not violent at all like say a YZ250. The Wolverine 350 4x4 is a very very light bike for a 4x4, weighing in at only 460lbs. It's of course still heavier then a 400ex. The Wolverine would jsut be my choice for the riding he described, which is why I bought one.

Sometimes it's ok to open up what you are looking for and consider other models.

But if you truly are limiting it to the motocross style atvs that you mentioned then I think they are all very similar and I would go for the one that you find the best deal on. Just make sure you check it over VERY carefully.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Range Rover

No one ever said the raptor was junk and the only one that recommended a raptor to the OP was you on your first reply.

I am not trying to be a jerk here so don't take it that way but less than a month ago you started a thread asking about your wolverine and saying that was your first ATV. Considering the questions you asked in your thread it is obvious your experience is limited with ATV's. That's not a bad thing, we all started out at one point but, with the limited experience how can you recommend something else to someone? Have you ever rode any of the machines the OP posted about? If so, how much? I started out on a 1986 KLT110 3 wheeler I bought new when I was 12 with paper route money and have been riding ever since, I am 38 now and currently have 4 ATV's in my garage.

Different quads appeal to different people and what you want it for, that is why I have both a full sport and a 4x4 utility.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate all the things you have said and recommended but I am still not confident enough in my riding experience to hop on a 700cc quad and ride. I would like to stay in the 400cc area, which is why I listed the quads I did.
I have found more people having problems with the motors in z400s than anything, and I have had stuff that we had to do motor work on all the time and it just wasn't any fun so I don't want to go down that road again.
Once again, I have always been a Yamaha fan and would really like to get a 350 Raptor, some people say they are sluggish and some say they are great quick trail/woods quads. When you say they are sluggish, what are you comparing them to?
The 400ex is always an option, but everyone is holding on to them which means there aren't meany used ones out there. The new ones in my area are $6300, and I cannot justify spending that much money on my first actual "good" quad. The raptors are going for around $2700, which is a much more comfortable price point.
I think I am now down to either the Raptor or the 400ex. Thanks!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Range Rover

The raptor 350 is a great trail quad and I think you would be happy with it but your not going to pass your buddies 400 with it if you are both about the same experience level but he is not going to run off an leave you like your standing still either. The 400 does have more power and does handle better though. I would agree they feel sluggish to me but like I said before, I am used to a raptor that has about 80 horses. A stock raptor 700 is just above 40 so most any stock quad feels sluggish to me compared to that. You could expand your search out to warriors as well, good warriors can be had in my area for around $1500 and they are virtually the same as a raptor 350. With those prices if you decide to upgrade down the road you can get your money back out of it.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I like that idea, Geoman. I think it would be best to get it, get used to a new realm of riding/power, upgrade it for a little more power and then get a bigger quad. i appreciate the help!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

To compare the Warrior to the Raptor 350, they have the same engine and go the same speed, but the Raptor 350 just feels more sporty when you're riding it. The Warrior is comfortable but feels more like a touring bike that a sport but it's still fun. I rode Warriors for years and converted one to a Raptor 350, even after stepping up to Raptor 660's and 700's I would not hesitate to buy another one today. I had a Warrior when all of my buddies were buying Raptors and YFZ450's when they 1st came out, sure they were faster than me on the wide open trails, and they picked on me about having a "girls" quad, I just pick back on them about how screwed up their life is or something, but that's all part of the fun and we all still had a blast no matter what anybody was riding. I'm not one of those guys that 'have to be faster than my buddy' cause at the end of the day who cares? It's all about having fun.

Besides, if your quad is slower it will teach you how to be a better rider to try to keep up with your buddies and it's actually more of a challenge and to me it's more fun to be the underdog.

As for the Raptor 350 being sluggish, yeah compared to the 700's and 450's and 400's they are a little sluggish and take more time to rev up and get up to speed but they are still plenty fast to have a good time on.

I don't know where you live but here in NC the nice Raptor 350's go for $1500 and up and the nice 400EX's go for $1800 and up.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I thought I was set on my decision and then I did more digging and found that I may want an LTZ400, or a 400ex. I am a bad decision maker clearly. Also, I have heard of people having z400s and them being fast and perfect, but i have also heard of people with them having bad motors and such. Our local dealer just sold their last raptor 350 that was used, and now they have a 2013, but the want $5200 for it, which is out of my budget. so, any advice towards the z400?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I've got a '07 Z400 that I'm getting ready to sell for $2400 as soon as I finish putting it together. I knew nothing about the Z400 until I bought this one a year ago, I've learned alot about these quads since the engine was in a box when I bought it because the owner overrevved it and dropped a valve. After talking to my local ATV builder about it, he said that most of the Z400's that come thru his shop for repair have dropped a valve. Then I was talking to my local machine shop guy who owned a Kawisaki KFX400 which has the same engine as the Z400, and he said he had to adjust the valves every 6 months just to keep it running. These are 2 very experienced atv engine builders who have been riding and dragracing quads for many many years. If I would have known all this I never would have bought it and this is the last z400 i will ever buy. I'm sure there are alot of people out there that have had good luck with the Z400 but I have yet to meet any of them.

On the other hand, anything with the Honda name is good. I have never heard ANYTHING bad about the 400EX. My buddy used to have a 400EX that he absolutely abused and NEVER did any maintenance on, and it always fired up on the 1st lick and was ready to go. It smoked like a freight train, so he would just fill it up with oil and check the gas and go riding. The tires were bald, none of the brakes worked, the chain was always loose, it never got greased or washed or the oil changed. I have never seen a 4wheeler take that much abuse and not quit. My brother used to have a 400EX and it never gave him any trouble either, I used to love riding his 400, it has the perfect combination for a fast trail quad. I would highly recommend the 400EX and I don't think you would be disappointed.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate it. I have also heard a lot of good things about the 400ex, all but 1 of my friends have at least 1 400ex to their name, even though they might not ride it, someone in the family does. you are right about hondas never quitting, they are die hard. We had a 250 recon a while back and you couldn't kill the thing. I will just have to wait around and look for a good deal on one. Thanks a bunch!