Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Remove air box, not just the lid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012 | 11:22 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Remove air box, not just the lid?

I got a 03 warrior that needs to be overhauled. Im cleaning the carb as I type and i have taken all the plastic off to get painted. I've searched this subject and all I find is people removing the lids. I did see a vid on youtube where a guy had aftermarket mesh lid replacement, but he said they don't sale that anymore...not a big deal.
What if I just to remove the box it self and run the carb to a pod filter like a old school cafe racer. Could I do that, and has anybody done that before?
Whats the best size header and exhaust. Forgive me Im new to this

Like on my virago lots of people have stock or 2" headers going to two outlets 2:2, but the best performance exhaust for a virago is stock size header, 1.5" 2:1.

If you can't tell the virago is all been working on.

Thanks...Collin

Old 12-02-2012 | 08:22 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

You could remove the airbox, I don't know any company that makes a kit for a Warrior. The problem with a trail machine without an airbox is you will have to be more careful crossing creeks and splashing through water holes.

The factory header is perfect for the Warrior engine, stock or modded. It is oversized so it works great on a modded engine. You could save some money and just buy a slip-on exhaust. I like the look, power, and price of the HMF sport series for the Warrior. According to a test that Dirtwheels magazine did, the White Bros E-series made the most power but I don't like the way they look or sound.

Old 12-02-2012 | 11:39 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

Outerwear makes the mesh lid you are talking about, you can even get it in a water-repellent version to keep water out of the air box. It uses velcro to hold it onto the box, or you can buy a kit that opens a big hole in the stock lid, and bolts in a frame that holds an Outerwears mesh insert. either way will really open up the air flow and help you out, just remember to jet up a couple sizes to make sure you don't run lean.

Old 12-02-2012 | 02:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

If you ever ride in the rain, mud, or have water crossings/puddles forget removing the whole airbox. You should be able to find the outerwears like mentioned above. I believe they have a universal kit also. I have seen Banshees just running pod filters like you mention, and some of the 2 stroke minis like the DRRs have an exposed filter. They all tend to run funky once you hit any wet stuff.

Old 12-02-2012 | 07:30 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, but I'm in more trouble than I thought. Now I have carb problems and electrical. There is a short somewhere, my main fuse keeps blowing with just the battery connected and nothing on. So tomorrow I will be searching the wire harness.

Old 12-03-2012 | 05:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by MrMillion
Thanks guys, but I'm in more trouble than I thought. Now I have carb problems and electrical. There is a short somewhere, my main fuse keeps blowing with just the battery connected and nothing on. So tomorrow I will be searching the wire harness.
Good Luck! I have seen a few wear thru from rubbing on the frame. Usually an easy fix once you find it.

Old 12-03-2012 | 10:26 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

The main fuse blows if I have the ignition switch on or off, and Im not for certain but should I have continuity between the frame and the battery ground?

Old 12-04-2012 | 09:34 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Raptor450
You could remove the airbox, I don't know any company that makes a kit for a Warrior. The problem with a trail machine without an airbox is you will have to be more careful crossing creeks and splashing through water holes.

The factory header is perfect for the Warrior engine, stock or modded. It is oversized so it works great on a modded engine. You could save some money and just buy a slip-on exhaust. I like the look, power, and price of the HMF sport series for the Warrior. According to a test that Dirtwheels magazine did, the White Bros E-series made the most power but I don't like the way they look or sound.

I don't think White Bros makes a exhaust for my bike, can't seem to find one.
I see vids and forum talk about them on other warriors... can't find one for my bike. Also I think a company called Vance & Hines bought out White Bros. Vance & Hines do not make anything for Yamaha before 06 models.

What about FMF or yoshimura, can't really affor either. I thought about aluminum air box I found one at jokerracing.com. I don't if it will fit the discription is sketchy.

Old 12-05-2012 | 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

Ive got an aluminum airbox for sale with 2 filters outerwares and outerwares lid its the um with a trx250r filter they havent made these in awhile. Also dont order anything from joker racing. Also i run a yosh and love it, got it for 140 off ebay and i just sold a pro circuit for 110

Old 12-05-2012 | 03:28 PM
Range Rover

I could be mistaken, but I think that it is normal for you to have continuity from the ground to the frame. Usually that is the norm so they can just ground to the frame to complete a circuit instead of having to run back to the battery.

Like I said I could be mistaken, but I know that is used in automotive applications and would think that was right on quads as well.

Quick Reply: Remove air box, not just the lid?