Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

99 warrior 350 problems

Old 12-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 warrior 350 problems

This is my first quad .I just picked up a 99 warrior..When i got it home ran fine then started puttering no acceleration and bogging out. I openes the air filter and there was some gas in the air box and the filter was dripping gas. Anyone know what it is?

Old 12-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like your carburetor float is stuck. May need a carb rebuild, you can try tapping the side of the carb with a screwdriver to dislodge it. You may also want to check the crank case and see if you have gas in your oil, it will thin out your oil and possibly blow out seals.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thats what i was thinking already have the carb off but saw the 4 little screws were stripped.at the bottom of the carb and got frustrated so i will start back on it tomorrow

Old 12-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I hate those little screws, they strip too easy! I have gotton some allen head screws from Lowes to replace them before. You can use a pair of small vise grips to remove them or a pair of needle-nose vice grips work good, too.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yea they are a pain...i just traded a timberwolf for the warrior and had to do the same thing then get this one and same exact thing lol...why would the gas flow into the airbox tho? On the timeber wolf it had a little hose under the carb it drained from.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Range Rover

IF the float is stuck, the gas will just keep flowing into the carb with no way of it stopping. I'd assume the warrior has an overflow (not sure) but it could be stopped up. This would cause the gas to just flood into the carb and back out of the air intake. As was mentioned by jswald you might want to check the oil too. It is sometimes possible for the gas to get into the oil. If that happens and it doesn't blow a seal it will wash the cylinder and the oil wont lube correctly and good bye piston and cylinder.
This is a very common problem hince the fuel cutoff switch for when it is not in use. (prevents it from happening)

Old 12-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thanks for the advise guys...i was planning to do a tune up after i clean the float/carb. How would i beable to tell if the prev owner had the bike jetted cause it has a fmf pipe on it and dont know if they jetted it or not.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Range Rover

I think stock size main jets on a 99 warrior is a 145. Don't quote me on that, but to see if it has been jetted (or attempted to be jetted) you could pull the main jet and see if it is larger. If so, the previous owner changed the mains out.

Without a doubt, its always best to check the plug to see if you are rich or lean. I'd rather be a bit rich than lean. Easier for me to deal with a little bogging and get that right than a rebuild cause of a lean condition.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I cleaned the float and carb put everything.back together rode the bike for about 10mins came.home let it idle then i heard a dripping sound. This time it was comming the the flow tube..so does that mean i gotta tear it apart and clean it.again or should i just bring it to the.shop and let them.deal with it.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Float needle and seat may be worn out and need replacing, or there's still trash in the float needle, or the float height is set too high.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 warrior 350 problems