Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

repairing broken plastic

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 02:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way that I can repair a crack on the rear fender of my wolverine.Iwould like to know if there's an easy fix that would look o.k. and would last,products,suggestions?

Old 03-23-2001, 02:55 PM
Range Rover

I don't know about an "easy fix", but personally, I wouldn't suggest trying to fix a crack any other way than having it plastic welded. If you have a crack, that is a week point that is just waiting to spread with the next little knock. Plastic welding is fairly cheap, very strong, and if you get the right person to do the job, you should hardly be able to tell it was done. The only problem is that you will need some plastic of the same type and colour that they can use as a filler material for the weld. You may have to take off a few slivers from unnoticable places on the underside of the bike, but talk to the person you are gonna get to do it first. He may have some on hand. To find a good plastic welder, ask around the local bike shops, machine shops, plastic-craft shops, or even try the yellow pages.

Old 03-23-2001, 03:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Lester, what I would do is find a piece of thin metal that's maybe 2 inches wide and long enough to cover the break in the plastic. Next, I would bend the piece of thin metal to match the back-side of the fender. Then, I would go to local parts store and get a rivet gun /w some rivets (maybe 1/8" rivets). I would then have a bud hold the plastic and metal brace overlapping each other and would drill some small holes for the rivets to go in. Next, put the rivot in the rivot gun and insert into the drilled location. Double check that the rivot is going thru the fender and the metal strip. If it is, squeeze the rivot gun a couple times and viola! The rivot holds the fender in the corret location.
This will not look as good as the fender did before, but will work 'till you get a new fender. Does this make sense to you?

Old 03-23-2001, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen some repairs similar to garyc660r's
description, except that bolts were used instead of rivits...and sometimes the thin metal strap is on both sides for strength, I have even seen a few repairs done where several small holes were drilled at equal lengths on each side if the crack, sort of like stiches,on an arm or a leg and color coordinating zip ties were used,,, the holes were the same size as the zip ties, smaller the hole the neater....

Old 03-23-2001, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

I think I will get it plastic welded.I called a local dealer,said he'd do it for twenty bucks,not bad at all.I'm not too fond about rivets,they look sloppy to me.Thanks.