Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Did I mod my Raptor right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2001, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this will be the 10 thousand's time jetting has come up, but I lost my old printed posts from you experienced guys. And I need some advice.
I just installed a full Big Gun exhaust, and the store sold me the Pro Design air filter & adapter, and a Stage 2 Dynojet kit.
The instructions with the pipe recommends a pilot jet of 27.5, and 150 & 155 main jets.
The Dyno Jet kit rocommends 146 & 148 main jets and no mention of pilots, so that is what I installed. The largest main in the kit is a 150.
? What would you recommend? Why the discrepency?
Did I buy the wrong kit? Sould it have been a stage 3?

Now, to go a little deeper... I know the Pro Design filter kit can be run with the airbox lid off, but I may run with it on ocassionally, as I do ride in a lot of water and mud once in a while and want the protection. My thought was to jet it correctly with the lid off, and live with a little rich condition when I put it back on for the few times I want the protection. Assuming the air filter setup without the lid will let it breath better, I assumed that my jetting would be on the high side. Also, Michigan is at 900 ft. elevation.
Does this sound logical or real?

THANKS for you advise in advance

Old 03-24-2001, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Well... does it run good? Did you do a plug "chop"? thats usually the best way to tell..

Old 03-24-2001, 04:37 AM
Range Rover

As I understand, the dynojet kits jets should not be compared to other jets numbers because they are exclusive to their own specs. Example, a Dynojet 148 may be the same as a standard 155. Use the dynojet kit as recommended and dial in from there, using their jets (mains).I would recommend changing the pilots per Big Guns specs, it's obvious it will needs more fuel with the addition of the better flowing exhaust and dial in as needed. I've always had good luck going big and then leaning out until you get the best performance. You didn't mention cutting the snorkle flaps but I'm sure you got that in your plans. Now, before I go on, I must tell you that I have yet to even touch my carbs, but I've been doing my homework and going by what I've read people are doing and whats working.( I didn't lose my test papers ). If I'm wrong or someone thinks I'm just blowing wind out my ****, please let me know, I can take it. I had to ship my Big Gun back to Cal.( minor adjust.) and as soon as it gets back I'm going to do everything I said and expect a trouble free swap.
I personally can't see me running with out a lid, just doesn't feel right knowing Iv'e got a hole under my seat big enough to suck in a cat. I'm adding the 6 uni-vents on the cover, seems to give it the added air it will need. As far as you jetting lid on, lid off, thats just going to be finding out if the jetting changes enough to be a concern. I'm hoping the vents will be good enough and I feel if I'm in water that bad , lid on or off won't matter. Hoped this helped.

PS Is there such a thing as a stage 3 for Raptor, didn't see one on their site.

Old 03-24-2001, 05:13 AM
Range Rover

Wilderp, would you be interested in letting me borrow your stock silencer till I get my Gun back from the factory? I misplaced mine ( I think its in the local landfill and I'm not going looking ). It is going to warm up next week they say and I'm having withdraws. Will probablly be just a week or two. I see we are not far from each other and I would be willing to come get it. Not sure I'll even have time to ride or come to get but was wondering if you might help a brother out.
Ok,...Ok, I'll tell ya what happened. As I was mounting my Gun my wife was pulling in the driveway. Of course my wife wouldn't know If my Raptor had a stock pipe or a $450 aftermarket one so what she dosn't know won't hurt, right? The headpipe was hanging in the garage safe and sound but the silencer was lying right there like a smoking gun. My only option was to give it a quick toss in the nearby trash can to retreive it later, of course, to store forever and for no apparent reason. Must I go on? Well, I had to send the gun to Cal. for a little service and it might be a couple weeks and I'm sick of hearing the distant wahl of my buddys 660. Let me know.

Old 03-24-2001, 08:19 AM
Trailblazer

Sonic,
Thanks for the advise. Now I remember someone else mentioning the Dynojet numbers were unique to thier set-up also. What "minor adjusting" did your Big Gun need? Did you hockey kick it across the garage outta wifes eyes,... or is there some quality issue I should look for on mine? Also, I would be willing to loan you my stock silencer,....as long as it doesn't meet up with your original one in trashville..

Old 03-24-2001, 02:35 PM
Range Rover

WILDERP,
After mounting head pipe, the tollerance between it and the silencer was too close, I was putting too much pressure on pipe and bolts for my liking. I decided the only way was to take it to the muffler shop and have him carefully expand it till it slid together better. Needless to say, I wasn't happy with the end result. I called and talked to Paul at Big Gun and , before I told him what happened, asked how he suggested I fit the two pieces. He said to try lube (did that) and if that didn't work, I'll have to take it to the local muffler shop and have them expand it. After I told him that really isn't the best way to fit a $450 ceramic coated system, he said ship it to them and he would send me a system with a better fit. He said the first systems had some leaking issues and thats making for the tight fit. Paul's a good guy and very accomadating I thought. I told him that my afterthought was I should have froze the head pipe and heated up the silencer, that might have done the trick. He agreed. I've fit alot of parts that way with good results. I'll contact you via e-mail. By the way, thanks, I was wondering what the hell our elevation was, not something I normally cared about. Later

Old 03-24-2001, 04:16 PM
jad
Range Rover

I have spoke to Paul at Big Gun several times very nice. I had a CT on order but canceled it after I spoke to Paul. I have my Big Gun in and can't wait to install it. I hope mine fits well.

Old 03-24-2001, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, did you ever think about keeping your airbox lid, and drilling holes in it? It increases air flow, and you can keep your lid on and keep mud and water from getting in. I have Nacs hole plugs, and each one of them have their own pop in filter! I am VERY pleased with them.

Old 03-25-2001, 10:37 AM
Trailblazer

Hey all, thanks for the advice. As of last night I had all the mods done and rolling. I put the airbox lid on for now, since it is only 35 ish degrees out in Mich these days. WOW... is the Big Gun LOUD! My neighbors think there is a Harley coming down the street. As far as the results of the mods,... well,... I think I need lead weights on the front end to keep it on the ground! It definitly pulls harder and longer than before. I took a quick ride on it before and after the front sprocket change, and I think I really like the 12 tooth change.
Monday the sand tires come in,.. then off to Silver Lake soon

Old 03-25-2001, 11:54 PM
Trailblazer

i was wondering where, how much, and what price your 12 tooth was? im looking for one myself. any idea what the part number was? id appreitiate the info..

Quick Reply: Did I mod my Raptor right?