Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

WHAT'S UP WITH THE RAPTOR GEARING???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2001, 01:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard from many people that the gearing on the raptor is messed up a little,especially with first and second gear.I was wondering what it is like?Does it rev fast in first then bog way down when you hit second or what?Then what about third thru fifth?Are they good or are they messed up as well?Any info would be appreciated.

Old 03-24-2001, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

I keep hearing this too, but I think it must be intentional. Second gear through fifth is really a four-speed, with first being a granny or low gear. It also has reverse and an electric starter. These are much appreciated out on the trail. My son's EXP has the same set-up. Unless you want to creep or climb something,, Start in Second gear. Take off like you mean it.
Forget about first. What do you Raptor guys think about your gear ratios if you think of first as a granny gear?
Silly Later,,,,Fourlix

Old 03-24-2001, 03:02 AM
Range Rover

With stock gearing, first is anything but a granny gear (can't beleive I even called it that). My thought is that Knobby ( that's the jap guy that was known for building the Raptor ) is like a lot of other gearheads and knows that us dumb American are obsessed with top speed numbers. What's up with these road bikes that do close to 200 mph out of the box, don't have many roads around here I could do that on. In the real world and for practical use, who needs 75, 80, or whatever the top speed of the Raptor is, I don't Know or care personally. The Raptor will benefit greatly from lowering the gearing, talk about a inexpensive boost in perfomance, eh. And Iv'e never noticed a problem with gaps(?) between any gears on mine. If you lug it enough, I'm sure you'll find something in there you won't think is right, another problem I don't have. And anyone who's never found a false neutral once in a while hasn't had enough time on bikes, quads, whatever. All In all, I'm just having an awful time finding something I don't like on my Raptor. Maybe it's just me.

Old 03-24-2001, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

I like the gearing on my Raptor. I went down a tooth on the front and up 4 teeth on the rear and it is much more managable in the woods and on the trails.

As for "starting in second and taking off like I mean it...." Well,that would probably loop me out instantly, as the motor is so torquey that even a minor blip of the throttle can send the front wheels skyward.

Old 03-24-2001, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

If I remember correctly the Raptor's gearing is hosed up because Yamaha didn't bother to build a new gearset for the Raptor, they just used the existing street bike gearset that was already in place...

Old 03-26-2001, 09:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

1st and 2nd is spaced a little more than most other gearsets. With the available low end power...and with some actual SEAT TIME...the gearing trail rides great (slow and fast)...even geared UP.

Old 03-26-2001, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

This is a tough one.

I originally thought that the Raptor should have a 6 speed gear box, because the 1st gear and reverse were too high. But after another 10 hours in the saddle, I wouldn't change it at all. It has power all over it's RPM curve so you can lug it or punch it. Second is like 3rd on the 400EX for speed, but you have tons of power to climb etc...

I don't think I would change the gearing except reverse. There is no need to go that fast backwards.

Perhaps in the sand there may be the need to switch sprockets to get the right speed vs. RPM, as I had to do that with my 400EX. But for my riding, its fine.

RM

Trending Topics

Old 03-26-2001, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

I just brought home my shiny new Black and White Raptor. Havent got but 5 minutes of seat time on it and just up the street and back. Never got out of 2nd gear. I must say that in comparison to my Warrior 1st on the Raptor seems comparable to 2-3rd gear on the Warrior. Reverse is insane! I could drag race s blaster with my Raptor in reverse! I'm extremely impressed with the motor in this beast, I just plan to ride it like a 2 stroke and see what happens. Cant wait to get it on the dunes.

Old 03-28-2001, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

I have tried several combinations going down to a 12 and then a 11 tooth on the front. I liked the 11/40 combo real well. Seemed like the 11 was a bit small the way the chain fit it. I ended up with a 12x42 recently and eally like this set up. This final ratio is very close to the 11x40. I have a link to a page of ratios on our club web site if you would like to check them out at:
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/raptorridersofnorthtexas

Old 03-28-2001, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

Ya it does exactly that stock. All you have to do is put a exhaust on it and it takes the gap out of between 1st and 2nd gear. You can also gear it down but even geared down with stock exhaust theres still a gap, but with my exhaust anyway (TC Racing) I could then run 3rd and 4th gear through woods whereas with stock gearing no way I dont care what anyone says its geared way to high stock. Its like this the power on the raptor is aroung 6000-7000 rpm range with the proper exhaust it brings the power range down to 2000-3000rpm and it still pulls the hole way through the rpm range.

Quick Reply: WHAT'S UP WITH THE RAPTOR GEARING???