Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

just got a yamaha R1!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2001, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got back from buying a blue 01 r1, hope it's faster than my old fzr 600! Maybe I will put that 1000cc motor on my raptor. haha sucks that I have to wait until monday to pick it up since I have to get insurance. But it's nasty weather here in PA anyway.

I don't know much about street bikes. Anyone have any helpful info on a R1?

Should I buy a cheap helmet or is a expensive arai or shoei better (for keeping my brains intact!)

Old 03-25-2001, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Congratulations on your new bike! If your into aggressive cornering and going very fast, you picked a great bike for it. I ride a 94 V-max, great for acceleration, but not too good in the corners. That R1 is supposed to be one of the top all around litre plus sport bikes. It weighs alot less than the Hayabusa or the Blackbird and just as powerful.

Rick

Old 03-25-2001, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Nice bike...I just hope your riding is at the level of the bike. The new ones are less forgiving than 5 years ago...once you're a bit past the limit...you're off!
The helmet thing, I would get a good one, and most of all, comfortable. Test several helmets, and see which one is most comfortable. I't awful to wear a helmet that bends your ears.

Old 03-25-2001, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

You are going to fall in love with that bike!!! I rode one quite a bit last year, and I can say from experience that it is one of the most confidence inspiring bikes I know. You will get big ***** in a big hurry!! It is a very easy to ride bike with EXCELLENT feedback to the rider. Just don't get in over your head or you will regret it. The limit of this bike is at insane speeds!! Have Fun!!
By the way, a friend once told me,"If you have a K Mart head , buy a K Mart helmet". In other words you DO get what you pay for!!

Old 03-25-2001, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

thanks alot for the replies guys! I am new to street bikes. I realize I'd better take it easy on it.

I think your right about getting a good helmet, I tried on a xl shoei and it felt tight, (head isn't all that big either haha)

the salesman told me that once I sweat in it it'd fit better, but it seemed TIGHT on my fat cheeks!

any online street stuff sites??????

Old 03-25-2001, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

You just bought a GREAT bike! Actually, I just sold my '00 R1 a few weeks ago (there's pictures of it in the Yahoo photo album - take a look at the license plate ). If you're not use to street bikes, then all I can say is you BETTER RESPECT the R1 - it will kick you A$$ in a hurry if you're not careful! I hope you're at least in your late 20's or early 30's, otherwise you may contribute to being the reason insurance is so high on these kind of bikes (personally, I think they should be outlawed to anyone under 25). If you are young, then no offense to you personally, it's just that these kind of bikes encourage reckless behavior and more often than not, it's the younger riders that take advantage of this and lose (a buddy of mine was decapitated on a sport bike shortly after highschool while ridding stupid) . A lot of people on these forums think their ATVs are really fast, but in reality they have not or never will experience the kind of acceleration these bikes are capable of (0-100mph in 4 1/2 seconds, shifting out of 2nd gear at 120mph, top speeds approaching 200mph, etc...). All I can say is BE CAREFUL and think twice before you twist the throttle at a moments notice. I have been guilty of what I'm sharing with you and that's why I sold it - I was getting too comfortable on it and we have a baby due any day. Now, watch me get run over on my bicycle!

As far as the helmets go, I would get the best you can afford. I got an Arai RX7 that matches the bike (retail $700) and I love it. Ask the dealer if they will sell you one at cost for buying the bike from them. That's what my dealer did (got the helmet for around $500).

Old 03-25-2001, 02:07 AM
Range Rover

Don't get ham fisted on that R1. It will bite you. If you ride agressively, you will go through a set of tires every 1500 miles. If you like wheelies the R1 will be happy to oblige. Your back and wrists will ache after about an hour of riding. Imagine yourself sliding along on the pavement towards a concrete barrier head first. That should focus your helmet decision making process. And while you're at it, get a good leather jacket and boots. Check out 2WF.com, motorcycle.com, yzf-r1forum.com, starboyz.com, and labusas.com. Have fun on the bike. I'm going to get the updated one next year.

Old 03-25-2001, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

You should buy a helmet that has a "tight" fit at first. It will relax some over time, and then it will fit nice. If you buy a helmet that fits "just right" initially, it will relax over time and be sloppy on your head. Thats the advice from someone who has owned 7 street bikes, at least that many helmets, and over 150,000 miles later.

You picked one hell of a bike to "learn" on. You probably should have started smaller and traded up. Be careful, you picked a bike that will do things you never intended for it to do. Remember your sitting on about 150HP, and in a tight situation it will get away from you if your not used to it! Enjoy and good luck, you picked an awesome bike.

Rick

Old 03-25-2001, 06:08 PM
Range Rover

Riding leathers are always good when you're riding a hot street bike like the R1. I have had a zx11 and a cb900 a couple of my friends have r1's. It is definately an awsome cornering machine. If you play with it without getting used to it, it's going to be slide time. Good luck.

Old 03-26-2001, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

going tomorrow morning to get insurance and then pick it up. HOPING that the insurance won't be over $60 monthly. Thanks very much for the info guys.

Quick Reply: just got a yamaha R1!!