Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 660 Electric Start Not Engaging...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Grizzly 660 Electric Start Not Engaging...

Hey all
I have an '05 Grizzly 660 with about 366 miles on it... A couple months ago, when I hit the "Start" button there would be a fast clicking sound, but when I hit it a second time she's fire right up. It did this for a couple months, but now that it sits for a couple weeks before using it to plow it was more and more difficult to get the starter to engage... Even if I hopped up and down on the bike the electric start would eventually work. Now...Nothing.

I tried taking all the connections off of the battery, cleaned them up with a wire brush, added a bit of di-electric grease, and re-installed. Still...Nothing. I also tried cleaning the contacts on the starter solenoid and re-installed (still nothing). I know the starter works because my dumb *** forgot to disconnect the battery before cleaning the solenoid contacts and the starter kicked over.

All the accessories work (lights, winch, dash guages, etc.).

I'm not sure what to do next... Before I start tearing it apart, I'd like to know where to start. Old Man Winter is making it difficult to do anything out in the garage for lengths of time since it's still friggin' freezing out... but we're supposed to get more snow on Sunday...

Thanks !

Scott

Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's your starter relay. Try tapping on it when the starter button is pressed. You can turn the key and on-off switch on and jump the posts on the relay that you shorted before and it should start.
Tony

Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Trailblazer

Gave it a shot...tapping on the relay shws no results, but the starter kickes over when bridging the posts, but I don't wantto use that as an option to starting it up lol

Old 03-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

replace the solenoid. just think of it like this, if this were happening to your truck or car, you'd be replacing the solenoid.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Jaster94
replace the solenoid. just think of it like this, if this were happening to your truck or car, you'd be replacing the solenoid.
Good point... Since I have Fords, I always keep a spare starter solenoid in my glove box (since they're conveniently located under the hood!)

I ordered me up a new solenoid and it should be here on or before Tuesday. Hopefully that'll do the trick ! If not, what should I try next ?

Thanks !

Scott

p.s. ... cool D&D avatar

Old 03-22-2013, 06:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

how/where did you store your quad? want to make sure mice out in the shed/barn didn't eat the wire and degrade the wire jacket so as to get the wire to go to ground on the frame. could be a pinched wire along the downtube area. does it make a difference what position the handlebars are in? inside the starter switch on the handlebar, i presume the connections are still tight. surely a quick connect in the harness hasn't started to come loose. may double check those items as well. it could be something as simple as dirt/grit under the pushbutton and not making good contact with the activation sensor until the dirt/grit granules are crushed. food for thought. i would still imagine the problem is electrical delivery between the pushbutton and the solenoid.

p.s., you're showing your age if you remember Venger!. i never missed an episode those many years ago.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Trailblazer

how/where did you store your quad? want to make sure mice out in the shed/barn didn't eat the wire and degrade the wire jacket so as to get the wire to go to ground on the frame. could be a pinched wire along the downtube area. does it make a difference what position the handlebars are in? inside the starter switch on the handlebar, i presume the connections are still tight. surely a quick connect in the harness hasn't started to come loose. may double check those items as well. it could be something as simple as dirt/grit under the pushbutton and not making good contact with the activation sensor until the dirt/grit granules are crushed. food for thought. i would still imagine the problem is electrical delivery between the pushbutton and the solenoid.

p.s., you're showing your age if you remember Venger!. i never missed an episode those many years ago.
Thanks, Jaster... I'll take a look at a the rest of the quick connects today since it's supposed to get above 35 degrees today. I doubt that mice were a problem since I bought it off the original owner last November and it was always stored inside an attatched garage (I tried to score his Yammie dirt bike while I was there, too ...lol)...and I also stor it in the garage and I've lived here 13 years and never saw a mouse.

I took a look inside the starter button as well and everything in there looks very clean, no dirt or corrosion. I agree that it has to be between the starter button and the solenoid, hopefully it'll be a quick fix once the new solenoid arrives.

The quad was in excellent shape when I got it, only has 352 miles on it (has 366 now, I've just used it to tool around the field across the street and to push a little snow).

p.s. I hear ya on the D&D cartoon, I never missed and episode, either... In fact, I still throw dice old-school with my same buddies from high school at least once a week. lol

Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i wasn't implying improper storage. it was just questions that i had. some folks have to store them in barns/sheds, others in garages, some in the Toy Haulers, and others in storage units. i was just curious. sounds like you got a great deal! i'm happy for ya! we'll get it going.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Trailblazer

i wasn't implying improper storage. it was just questions that i had. some folks have to store them in barns/sheds, others in garages, some in the Toy Haulers, and others in storage units. i was just curious. sounds like you got a great deal! i'm happy for ya! we'll get it going.
It definitely was a good find, came with an 60" Eagle Plow, Warn 2500 winch, brand new ITP wheels/tires all for a shake under $5k

I went through and cleaned all the connections this afternoon and added a dab of di-electric grease here and there...all wires seem to be in excellent shape. Hopefully that solenoid will do the trick...and hopefully it'll show up Monday. If that's the deal, I'll probably order a spare to keep in the utility box (again, thanks Ford...lol).

I did push it out of the garage and start it up with the pull start...What a pain, but it fired right up.

Thanks again for the advice, I'll definitely keep ya posted !

Scott

Old 03-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i hear ya! i love my grizzly. great machine. yep, sucks to use the ripcord but glad it's there, my polaris quads have the ripcord too. but that's what is somewhat disappointing with my honda, no ripcord/pullstart back up. but as stated, that yamaha ain't never failed.

Quick Reply: Grizzly 660 Electric Start Not Engaging...