Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Newb with Kodiak maintenance questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb with Kodiak maintenance questions...

First post so bear with me.

I bought a used 2002 Yamaha Kodiak 400 (4X4 auto) last fall and its in need of a few maintenance items. When I bought it, it did not come with a manual so I am stuck figuring out the basics.

I was able to find how to change the oil and how much oil to add, however I am having a hard time locating the spark plug location and the air filter location. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Pics or videos would be great, but I'd settle for some basic instruction.

The ATV seems to run well and I'd like it to stay that way. Is there anything else besides what I am doing that any of you would recommend?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Spark plug is screwed into the clylinder head, just follow the black thick spark plug wire.

Air Filter is under the seat,under that is a black plastic box with a removable lid held down by clips.
The air filter is under the lid.
Not sure about the oil amount, I have not even figured that one out on my 350.

Might as well do your front and rear diffs while your at it, they take grear oil.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Range Rover

2.3 quarts unless doing a filter change then 2.4 quarts for my year Kodiak 400. I found this out from the dealer.

I should be able to get the air filter out if its under the seat. I know that spark plugs go in the cylinder head and can be traced via the plug wire. I was more looking for a physical location on the ATV to start looking before I had to pull multiple panels off. Right side left side ect.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Range Rover

Anyone know more specifics on the spark plug location on my quad?

I can start just pulling panels randomly, but I'd rather have some vague idea where to start first.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

if you need a manual try tradebit.com, often repair manuals are on there too with everything you will ever need to know.
Ken

Old 04-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Range Rover

I know there are online manuals available for purchase (just like there are ones for sale in stores).

I was hoping to find free information from this forum or someone who knew so I would have to go through the expense and hassle just to find where the spark plug location was.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:18 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

Originally Posted by CALL911
I know there are online manuals available for purchase (just like there are ones for sale in stores).

I was hoping to find free information from this forum or someone who knew so I would have to go through the expense and hassle just to find where the spark plug location was.
If you are planning on keeping the quad for any amount of time, you might as well pay the few bucks to get the manual in pdf form...although it seems like you are not so receptive to people's suggestions! Probably in the time that it took to post four posts asking where the spark plugs is, it could have been located and changed!

Old 04-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have any first hand experience with that model, so sorry, but the manuals on tradebit are usually under $10. as close to free as you can get.
Someone who has or has worked on one will likely chime in.
Ken

Old 04-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Go to partshark.com and email them the model of your quad and they will send you the service manual as a PDF for free. This is where I have gotten all of my manuals.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Mud Slinger
Go to partshark.com and email them the model of your quad and they will send you the service manual as a PDF for free. This is where I have gotten all of my manuals.
Sweet. Thanks! I'll do that.

I joined this forum for info and direction. Some people would buy the manual. Some would suggest I buy the manual. If I was going to mod this quad, or if it were going to break often, I would probably do this. But this is the first time for me doing routine maintenance, that once I do once, I will know how to do again without guidance. I don't think this is worth the purchase. I don't think it warrants you guys getting fired up because I don't take ALL the advice thrown out there.

Especially when someone ended up getting more than what I needed for free. *Thanks Mud Slinger

Quick Reply: Newb with Kodiak maintenance questions...