Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2003 kodiak 450, no spark

Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 kodiak 450, no spark

hello all,

my Kodiak 450 was running fine. parked it, an hour later it wont start. turns over fine just wont run doesn't even try to start. ran diagnosis and found I have no spark, I mean none.

after changing the fuses, s plug, ignition coil, stator, pick up coil, and ignition relay, it still wont start.

still no spark, and in mean none. ran the trouble shooting/diagnostics from service manual and everything check out to spec. Any ideas? Change the CDI? Will a bike bump start with a bad CDI? what does the CDI do? I am getting fuel to the spark plug.

oh yea one more thing. which way does the pick up coil face? metal "button" towards the stator? I hope so because that's how I installed it. I wasn't paying enough attention while removing but it seems that is how the old one was in there.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Wiltz

Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, well here it is.

when replacing the stator/pickup coil. The metal "button" faces the stator.

Next, the CDI is what controls the spark to the plug. If everything else checks to spec and you still have no spark, most likely the CDI. Yamaha CDI is $303 you can get a hopped up aftermarket one for about $175. IF buying an aftermarket one id buy a brand name one, not some generic one off amazon, JSN.

I hope this info helps the next guy with the same isssue. I searched for days trying to find which way the pickup coil faced.

one more thing, if you are replacing the stator and pu coil. when ordering it and the gasket also order the three bolts that hold the stator down and the 2 bolts that hold the coil down. These are Locked in place and get pretty messed up during removal.