Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Holy Cow this Raptor Rules!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked it up today and it whoops my Scramblers a$$! This thing is so fast and fun I can't believe it! ALL THE POWER YOU CAN STAND! It definately isn't for the begineer though, way to much power. (I'm sure someone will disagree) I am soooo impressed, can't wait to hit the trails this weekend!

Old 03-30-2001, 01:39 AM
Range Rover

There would be far less Polaris owners if these people would just try riding ANY other quad.

Old 03-30-2001, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Ya know I used to think my Warrior was pretty fast. I knew it was no match for a Banshee but I did think it would hold it's own with any four stroke. Geeze was I wrong. With a friend on my Warrior running by me at top speed I was able to start my Raptor, and pass the Warrior in a couple of hundred yards. No comparison these Raptors are some danged fast four strokes.

Mark
'98 Blue Warrior (FMF pipe, Works steelers, Pep stabilizer)
'01 Black/White Raptor (totally stock)

Old 03-30-2001, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

I doubt you would find many people leaving Polaris every single person I ride with that owns a Polaris had come form a Japanese machine. I owned Yamaha then Honda then Polaris, I actually owuld have to say that if more people tried Polaris there would be far less driving other makes. I tried out all the competition before buying my Sportsman, it was the best one. Now the Raptor should beat the Scrambler it is a 660. I think Polaris should market the Scrambler as other that a sport machine it really is a hybrid, and not really a true sports quad. The Raptor is a fast quad a great one if you want to do that type of riding. Ask anyone who rides a Polaris and I bet they owned a japanese machine before.

Old 03-30-2001, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

i have a sp500ho and a raptor and believe both are among the best for their intended purpose. it really does,nt matter what you ride JUST RIDE

Old 03-30-2001, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Hey xepathfinder, you know you are totally right!! I talked to TONS of people, and.. of course, they were die hard HONDA fans.. and.. We all went riding one day.. And I wanted to ride this guy's CR125, and I was on my Polaris Xpress 300.. We traded for the whole ride.. and when we got through.. He walked over.. said.. You know, Polaris ain't as bad as I thought it was! I added his name to the list of "I hate Polaris.. they're not that bad" lol, That list is getting LONG!

Old 03-30-2001, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

My first quad was a polaris, to tell you the truth I'll never go back. But thats just me, I encourage you to try all of the companies before you buy any quad. The best atv out there may actually not be the best for YOU its ALL about what you feel comfortable with and you preferr. Xpath, you speak sense, unlike alot of users on here, good post.

Old 03-30-2001, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

polaris are nice machines.they work well for what they are built for.but i hate working on them!at least on a jap bike its all metric@!

Old 03-31-2001, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I'm one of the guys who owned a used Scrambler and a new Xplorer. I spent an obsene amount of time and money wrenching on the machines. The parts weren't available. In most cases it took 2 weeks to get parts, and I live in Toronto. They were heavy and needed a great deal of care. Wouldn't buy another one.

I bought an LT250R and again, spent an obscene amount of money on parts and wrenching.

Then I got smart and bought the 400EX. Absolutely bulletproof. Ridden it for 3 years, replaced rear bearings, and repaired the starter. That's it. Period. Not to mention, it is 150 lbs lighter than the Scrambler and wheelies on command. An absolute blast, and a great machine

Then I bought the YZ426 because I think Yamaha is producing some amazing 4 stroke technology. Their quality may not be AS good as Honda, but it's damn close. That bike is a rocket and it has also been flawless for me.

Now the Raptor. What a machine. It kills the Scrambler, and in my opinion, the 400EX. ATVSport just published the comparison and I agree whole heartedly. The 400EX may have ripped around the track faster than the rest of the pack, but it isn't a very exciting ride compared to the Raptor or DS. The Raptor has tons of power which makes it fun to ride, and 'rip' around with.

The way I see it, the Scrambler is great in two environments. Mud and snow. On dirt, or track, or jumps, leave it in the garage.

I did run mine in the snow and ice and it dominates every other quad out there. I used to stud the tires, and rip around on the lakes. What a blast. The banshees and 400EX's were always getting stuck and sliding everywhere. That was an environment where it totally shined.

The other area I will give the Scrambler is utility. Not in a Sportsman type class, but you can buy racks and a trailer hitch. If the customer wanted to have a bike at the cottage which would haul a trailer of wood or pull a jetski out of the water, then go riding in the woods, then the Scrambler fits very well. I think the comment of 'hybrid' fits this machine very well.

But if you don't do any utility, snow or mud with it, I feel the Raptor and the 400EX, Banshee, DS650, stand heads above the Scrambler. Which is why I own the machines I do.

RM