Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Had a great weekend at Glamis!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 04:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to Glamis this weekend and had a great time at Oldsmobile.

I raced piped Banshees, Raptors and DS's and didn't get beat at all, except one time I had a problem getting through the whoops against a Banshee. I would also hang with 250 two wheelers the whole way up the hill.

All this with a stock exhaust pipe with the spark arrestor removed. Everyone thought the bike was stock. It was the ultimate sleeper.

I would always pull away from them from 3/4 to the top of the hill. Running the stock gearing I would pull 3rd gear strong the whole way up the hill.

I just need to get this thing to the Phoenix dyno day to see what it dyno's at because it felt great.

Old 04-02-2001, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

Nice job at Oldsmobile!! I was at Gordon's Well over the weekend and had a great time too!! Smoked a few Banshees up Comp Hill with minimal mods (see below) Are you using a 12 or 13 tooth sprocket. And please describe your intake a little more. Did you fabricate your own mount for that K&N? How did your filter look at the end of the day without an airbox? What jetting do you run and what is...

Data Acquisition
ETAS Wide Band Air Fuel Ratio Sensor
Pi System 2

scott

Old 04-02-2001, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

Don't be too confident on the hill. Ever ride up Sand Mtn at L.S. Utah. I can beat a few and just a few banshees. Our hill is way bigger then Olds and Raptors don't dominate at all here.

Old 04-02-2001, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

I agree. There are many steeper hills than Oldsmobile. Patton Valley has some steep ones that I had fun on, and Comp (not very steep at the 8 freeway) was extra fun when I smoked a few guys too

NakedRaygun...let us know on your trick setup!!

Old 04-02-2001, 10:24 PM
Range Rover

I do admit that their were not a lot of bike there this weekend but with my changes the bike was 100% better than when I went there stock( I would have never thought I could keep up with a 2 wheeler 250's). I also ran up china wall this weekend and climbed it no problem. Nobody was racing so I have no comparison about how fast except I could climb it in third gear as well. I am using a 13 tooth front which is the stock gearing.

The biggest restriction in the system is the airbox so I eliminated it all together for the dunes. I am still working on something for general riding but basically it will be just a splash guard.

I machined a new air filter clamp that has a 6 inch clamping surface that goes around both inlet tubes to the carburetors. I then machined and installed two velocity stacks for each carburetor inlet tube. The inlet tubes are stock between the carbs and new air filter mount. The K&N is a conical filter that is 7.5 inches and taper to 5 inches at the top and is about 6 inches in length. This large increase in air flow really screwed up the stock carburetors and I could not jet them correctly at all. I finally gave up and installed the 35mm FCR carbs and they work perfect. Jetting is 150 mains.

I'll try to post pictures of the setup somehow but I don't have a website.

The other items you were asking about (PI and ETAS) are data acquisition items that I use to set my jetting up. Expensive but engine testing is my job.

I figure I have about $800-900 in my setup so far which is not any more than a lot of the Banshee's I raced had in their bikes. I still can add an exhaust system to improve the performance even more. By the way, I was running 87 octane fuel too.

The point of all this is just to say that their is a lot of performance to be gained from the Raptor with very little money invested.

Old 04-03-2001, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

sweet!

Old 04-03-2001, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Nice job..i am currently building a site. If you wish i can post it on mine.
email me. Send me the pics. i'll post them for you
Peace
2001 raptor blue
white bros E series pipe
GYTR front bumper
GYTR Sticker kit (lightning)
GYTR shock covers
18x11x8 MX holeshot rears

Old 04-03-2001, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Naked,

If you send me pictures, I can get them up on my website. I have a couple of pages devoted to jetting and valve adjustement for the do it yourselfers out there, so your setup would be a good addition. Thanks!

Old 04-03-2001, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

BlueLeader - I would like to ask you how you like your twist throttle?

Old 04-05-2001, 01:10 AM
Range Rover

THe twist throttle is the only way to go. Besides with the FCR carbs its a pretty heavy pull so I think your thumb would fall off without the twist throttle.

The K&N filter looked great at the end of the weekend. Nothing got past at all. Much better than my stock filter when I went to the dunes last time.

Quick Reply: Had a great weekend at Glamis!