Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ignition Advance Key for Raptor????

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received my Raptor Ignition advance key last week and had my local Yamaha dealer install it for me. I took it up and down the road a few times and I was wondering...It seems to almost bog down a little bit for a second when starting from midrange in 2nd or 3rd gear and giving it full throttle. Is this just part of how it affects the accelleration or no? It seems fine if I just start out from a stop and hammer through the gears, it only happens when starting from midrange and then nailing it. I will say they also put in a 1 tooth bigger front sprocket at the same time the key was installed, but I don't think the sprocket would cause it to bog at all. What do you guys think?

Old 04-02-2001, 09:13 PM
Range Rover

well ive always heard that if u advance the timing on anything, u have to jet it up a bit to make up for it. maybe run a plug check on it if ur not sure to see if it is runnin lean.

Old 04-03-2001, 12:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I don't believe I have read one positive posting about a Raptor timing advance key.
660R01....The sprocket will not make a bog, but if a slight bog is there beforehand, the bog could easily be more noticable with the taller gearing...I run a 14 tooth front sprocket and have no bogs.
Was the Dynojet kit installed beforehand, or did the dealer install it at the same time the timing key was installed?
Did the guys at the shop change the position of the needles?
Is your air filter clean?
The timing key SHOULD do the opposite of the bog situation...meaning revs should come on quicker.

Old 04-03-2001, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

The dynojet kit was installed before the ignition advance. It was put on with the exhaust and seemed to run perfect beforehand.

Old 04-03-2001, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

Perhaps the shop inadvertently put the key in backwards and actually retarded the timing. I wouldn't put it past them........

Old 04-03-2001, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I installed the ignition key in my Raptor(myself) and didn't really notice a difference, maybe it will help with the other mods I have planned. I do have a flat spot when I nail it real fast, but I'm sure that is due to running too lean, my Dynojet kit should be here today to take care of that problem.

Old 04-04-2001, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, I figured out what the problem is...Its that I'm a jackass. I had only had a few turns up and down the road to test the key and noticed that problem. But today I had a little more time to ride and I thought to myself.."hmm, maybe i'm almost out of gas", I switched onto reserve, problem solved. Thing runs like a dream. I apologize for my retardedness.

Old 04-04-2001, 05:51 PM
Range Rover

I have been very pleased with the gain I recieved from the Spark's ignition advance key. The only down side I have found is that it turns over slower sometimes when starting, but never fails to start. The guys at the local Yamaha shop feel it gave the biggest gain to the top end. Spark's said low to mid.

Old 04-05-2001, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

RAPTORZONE,
When you put the key in correctly it does retard the timing.
Also, I felt it a little bit. Can't wait for this weekend finally hitting 60's.

Old 04-05-2001, 02:02 PM
Range Rover

hey KYRAPTOR, do u have any pictures of ur bike? i would like to see it them the +3 a-arms and tcs shocks.
if u do could u e-mail them to me at cspyy@yahoo.com?

Quick Reply: Ignition Advance Key for Raptor????