Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Gal in Virginia - Big Bear 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Gal in Virginia - Big Bear 4x4

Hello Everyone! I just bought a 1998 Yamaha Big Bear 4x4 this weekend ...YAY - FUN! Anyways, it seems to run great and I am getting familiar with the MACHINE . I do have a question and hoping someone can help. When I am shifting to the upper gears 1-5 I have to reach my hand down and pull the gear into place (seems like a hard shift) .... the foot pedal is really hard to shift up with my foot. I am looking forward to moving beyond 1st gear. Is there a trick to this, am I doing something wrong or perhaps there is something wrong with the shift pedal? I might add once I pull it up with my hand the transmission seems to engage in the proper gear, so I do not think there is anything wrong with the tranny. Thanks for your help! Melissa

Old 09-30-2014, 03:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome! Your Big Bear shouldn't be to hard to shift. If you can do it by hand, I would think you could pull it up with your foot as well. Here are a few quick things to check.

First, is the shift lever at the proper level for you? They are mounted on a lever with little meshing teeth. Remove the bolt that holds it on, remove the shift lever, rotate it down one tooth, tighten it back up and see if that helps. Be careful not to damage the teeth, and tighten it down securely.

Second, it may help to wear a sturdy work or riding boot. Sneakers are soft and can make it feel hard to shift. Riders switching to boots from sneakers/shoes often have to raise the shift lever one tooth. If you haven't been wearing boots, doing so may negate the need to do as above.

Finally, does your lever have a rubber piece over the end? Sometimes these will just rotate around the lever as they get older, negating enough of the upward pull of your foot so that it will fail to catch the next gear.

Good Luck!

Old 09-30-2014, 05:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Welcome! Your Big Bear shouldn't be to hard to shift. If you can do it by hand, I would think you could pull it up with your foot as well. Here are a few quick things to check.

First, is the shift lever at the proper level for you? They are mounted on a lever with little meshing teeth. Remove the bolt that holds it on, remove the shift lever, rotate it down one tooth, tighten it back up and see if that helps. Be careful not to damage the teeth, and tighten it down securely.

Second, it may help to wear a sturdy work or riding boot. Sneakers are soft and can make it feel hard to shift. Riders switching to boots from sneakers/shoes often have to raise the shift lever one tooth. If you haven't been wearing boots, doing so may negate the need to do as above.

Finally, does your lever have a rubber piece over the end? Sometimes these will just rotate around the lever as they get older, negating enough of the upward pull of your foot so that it will fail to catch the next gear.

Good Luck!

Old 09-30-2014, 07:59 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Try this.

I had a Yamaha 250 Moto4 that shifted very stiff that I needed steel toe work boots.

I change the oil over to Full synthetic from cheap conventional oil and after that it shifted like butter smooth even with sandals on.

Worth a try.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Shift Lever - Sticking

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Turns out I ended up spraying WD-40 "lightly" around the bolts & screws of the shift lever and now I can shift up with my foot! Happiness abounds!!!!

Old 10-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice, glad it was an easy fix!