Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2009 Wolverine 450 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Wolverine 450 4x4?

I been looking around "mostly for a grizzly" for my son he will be 14,and looking to do some riding together come spring,and wanted to get him a bike for Xmas. Well after looking around and couldnt find a clean grizzly for a decent price my brother in law told me he wouldnt want that anyway,he would want something a lil more sporty and told me about a wolverine. So far what I read they seem like a great bike,The biggest complaint I hear is that it tops out at 50mph. That is No issue for me and 50mph is way faster than he needs to go,I would imagine the places we ride we wouldnt go over 35mph anyway.

So I found a really nice clean 2009 450 4x4 with 200 miles on it,,Looks show room clean from the photos,If he can come down just a little I think im going to pull the trigger on it. So just want to know some basics before Im dead set on this bike for my son. Like any know issue's for this year wolverine?,Its liquid cooled I believe,any over heating problems,clutch issues etc.?

With only 200 miles on it I would imagine it would need nothing as its practically new,But is there a danger when buying something this un-used,Is there a break in period where something might need re-calibrated or adjusted?

Also there was some skids added on,,that I dont mind,,extra protection is always good I guess,but he also mention that he added some wheel spacers "I guess for a wider stance" but there still stock tires anything to be worried about running with those on?

Old 10-27-2014, 02:49 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

They are a problem free ATVs. essentially its a 350 Bruin/Grizzly chassis that's been around for years, but with the larger (421cc ) motor from the 450 Grizzly/Kodiak that has been around for years also.

The 450 wolverine just has sportier plastic and no front and back rack with smaller 23" tires.
See for yourself 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Auto. 4x4 ATVs

and the motor.

http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...1=38369&go2=Go
So its not a machine of its own but more of a Mix between the 350 Grizzly/Bruin and 450 Grizzly/Kodiak.
Both ATVs of which have been super reliable for years.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

Thats good to hear, This is primarily for my son but would it be suitable for a larger guy like myself to ride it "6'-250lbs" Im going to be looking for my own come spring but if I go out with some buddies I might bring it for a back up or just a change of pace.
I got a meet up set for tomorrow to look at it,,any last minute advice,things to check or anything in general I need to know,because if we come to terms on a price and its as nice in person as it is from the pics,I'll be coming home with it.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:47 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Oh it will handle a big adult no problem. Like I said it just a 450 Grizzly but with smaller tires and a SRA and no diff lock or low range.

I,m 5,10 180lb and my 350 never runs out of power on trails it just will not fly down gravel roads at 50mph.
I even had a passenger seat on it for awhile and carried another adult no problem.

On our rough narrow trails a 800 is not going anywhere quicker then a 300.

Up until about the early 2000s a 450 was considered a big bore 4x4.

Start it up and even a little ride down the street will show you if its good. Try the 4wd button ,try the reverse and both brakes. Also let it idle while you yacking with the guy that will show you if the cooling system is doing its job.
It,s really hard to hide broken I fine. If they can run for 15 minutes they can run for 150 hours.
Also shake the front wheels for play and look at the CV boots for rips.
Cv boots are cheap but it sucks to change them.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

Well I pulled the trigger on it,Very clean,Under 200 Miles,No smoking,wobbly tires,boots looked brand new. Seem to run fine with good power. It did seem like it didnt want to idle long without the choke,I dont think it has been ran in awhile. I gave it a test ride before I bought it,,and couldnt help myself and stopped before I got home and ran it one more time at a local field and seems to run fine.
I didnt have anytime to really mess with it,,but it almost just sounds like the idle needs turned up a tad. I tried it while I took it to the field and got it running real smooth while adjusting the idle,,then I looked and I didnt have the choke fully off,So it turns out I adjusted the idle with the choke partially on. So tomorrow I will see if thats all it needs. Any tips on what to check,Im gonna start by just draining the gas and putting fresh gas and set up the idle and go from there. But it shouldnt be anything major? Maybe at worst a carb cleaning?

Old 10-29-2014, 10:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Before bothering to clean the carb put in fresh gas and some SeaFoam.

I just bought my 350 IRS this summer and it would not idle . I just gave the idle **** on the side of the carb a slight turn and its been perfect since.

They do not like to sit for long especially in the States with the corn gas you guys have.

200 miles! LOL thats awesome.

That's why I buy used. I'll let a stranger put on the first 200miles to save a couple of thousands dollars no problem.

I'm on my 6th used ATV over 15 years and never bought a bad one yet.
3 of my riding fiends are riding 3 used ATVs I bought years ago and they still have no issues.

Happy trails.