Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1995 Yamaha Timberwolf 250 2x4

Old 12-28-2014, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Yamaha Timberwolf 250 2x4

Hello, I am new to the forum, and I am seeking some answers. I have a 1995 Yamaha Timberwolf that I restored, and made it my son's Christmas gift. I rebuilt the carb with a kit off of Ebay. For the most part, the quad runs geat. However, it will not idle. You have to blip the throttle to keep it going. This is okay for me, but not so much for my son. I've currently got the needle on the 4th clip down from the top, pilot crew 1.5 out, and the idle adjustment screw is all the way in. Any adjustment out on the idle adjustment just makes it worse. I have checked for leaks with carb cleaner, and I am leak free. I have a new airfilter, but the lid has one broken corner. It seals, but not completely. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I would lift the needle a notch and then see if you get some adjustment on the idle screw, adjusting the pilot to suit. Personally I never fit a carb kit unless there is obvious wear in needle and/or jet. In most cases carbs just need cleaning, they are made to take a bit of wear which can be taken up with the idle screw, I never adjust the pilot jet either, if it ran right before dirt got in, it will run right after you get the dirt out.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by r1pilot83
Hello, I am new to the forum, and I am seeking some answers. I have a 1995 Yamaha Timberwolf that I restored, and made it my son's Christmas gift. I rebuilt the carb with a kit off of Ebay. For the most part, the quad runs geat. However, it will not idle. You have to blip the throttle to keep it going. This is okay for me, but not so much for my son. I've currently got the needle on the 4th clip down from the top, pilot crew 1.5 out, and the idle adjustment screw is all the way in. Any adjustment out on the idle adjustment just makes it worse. I have checked for leaks with carb cleaner, and I am leak free. I have a new airfilter, but the lid has one broken corner. It seals, but not completely. Any help will be appreciated.
Originally Posted by merryman
I would lift the needle a notch and then see if you get some adjustment on the idle screw, adjusting the pilot to suit. Personally I never fit a carb kit unless there is obvious wear in needle and/or jet. In most cases carbs just need cleaning, they are made to take a bit of wear which can be taken up with the idle screw, I never adjust the pilot jet either, if it ran right before dirt got in, it will run right after you get the dirt out.

I replaced eeverything because the carb would leak fuel if the petcock wasn't shut off. All the o-rings were shot, so I assumed so was the needle and seat. I wondered how good the Ebay aftermarket kit was. If I recall, the pilot jet was a smaller number than what stock was. That could be part of the problem. I saved everything, so maybe I will just install the old pilot jet and see what happens.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer

Nobody else has any input? Also, why can't I post pics of this quad with my smartphone? There is no option got adding attachments.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I would put the old main and pilot jet back in, the fuel overflowing was a leaky float needle, these can go bad, though often it is just grit stuck to the rubber tip of the needle.