Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1998 Banshee No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Banshee No Spark

So I just bought a 1998 Banshee. First one I've owned. Generally speaking it is in good-to-average condition. It appears to be mostly stock (stock exhaust, plastic, etc..)

It ran ok, usually started in 2-3 kicks cold and 1-2 warm. I decided to wash it. I was careful not getting water on the electrical connectors. It started in 2-3 kicks as usual and ran good. I shut it off and did some maintenance. I changed the plugs and oil. That is all I did. I tried it back up and it was deader than a doornail. No spark.

Now the plugs that were in it was BR7ES. I believe B8ES is the correct plug, which is what I put in it. That is when I got no spark. I tried putting the original plugs back in, no spark. Seriously, by changing the plugs I loose spark?

Any ideas on what to check first? What is the correct plug for a stock 1998 Banshee? It appears the bike still has the TORS on it and I was gently spraying around that..

When it did run before it ran smooth and had great power. The previous owner did seem to have the idle turned up a little too high as if I turned it down any it would idle fine but occasionally miss then stall. Is this an indication something was on the way out?

Thanks guys!

Old 01-18-2015, 05:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Firstly have you checked the spark with the plug laid on the head? If so, and there is no spark, there are three possibilities, either water has crept into the electrics and caused a fault, or you have nudged a wire off when doing the maintenance, or it is pure coincidence that the fault has come on now. The first thing to check is any wires near to where you have been working, the plug cap/lead is an obvious example. Water may dry out by itself, so time may cure that one. If that doesn't work, get a manual and go through the wiring checks.
Carbs do wear a bit and some bikes won't run for long on tickover, this is not an indication of a serious fault.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:34 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah.. I'm trying to be logical.. I've only done two things that caused it to run fine then bad.

Washed it
Changed plugs

Now I did wash it first and it started and ran fine. Then I changed the plugs and nothing.. no spark at all even ground to the head. Dead.

So I'm with you either it is a coincidence or something came loose or water crept in somewhere. I will take some stuff apart and blow it out.

I did print off the service manual troubleshooting. First couple things it has me check are the throttle slack, disconnect the TORS, and obviously the spark.

I'll go from there.

Any other input on experience would be appreciated!

Old 01-19-2015, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be key switch or kill switch. The key you can just unplug. The kill switch you have to check for continuity. If both check ok, then I would start checking the stator and coil.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:00 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help guys!

I followed a logical sequence and what the service manual wanted to step through. The guilty culprit was the TORS. I just now have the box unplugged. As soon as I unplugged it I got a strong spark! It runs even better now. Before it would have an occasional miss and sometimes dies. Now it idles perfect!

I can see how a Banshee would be addicting. It is a unique machine, old but different. Yes, the powerband does probably make it seem faster than it really is but she's still got some get up!

Thanks again