Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior almost stolen

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, this is weird guys, let me try to explain what happend and see if anyone can make sense out of this. i looked out my window today and saw my warrior missing from the spot where i put it. so i go out there and sure enough i find the lock cut in half. so great i think, there goes my warrior. so i go back inside and think of what i should do next, so i glance out my window and this time i noticed a quad track in the grass going from where my warrior was parked to a tree about 20 feet away. the odd thing was that the trail stopped behind the tree so i think they must have drove a truck or something there to pick up the quad, but wait wouldnt the truck leave a trail? and that area of my lawn is extremely muddy anything that went into there would of left a huge mud rut. so i go look behind this tree and sure enough there sits my warrior, the first thing i noticed was the ignition switch laying on the ground beside it. they cut the wires on the switch very close; cutting some of the plastic on the actual switch. so i see they had two of the ignition wires crossed together, i'm not sure what colors they were. and thats about it, thats pretty much the story. does anyone have any idea why i still have this warrior? it has taken a while to get started lately, so maybe they couldnt get it started. but i don't see why that would matter, any competent thief would have a truck or something nearby to drive it off in. well anyway, another problem is that here in ohio, it wasnt made a law to have quads titled in your name until like july. so this is a 99 warrior so it was never titled to anyone originally, i got it from the original owner. so...basically if it was stolen there's no way i could prove that i actually owned the thing in the first place anyway. in fact theres no real way to prove the thing ever exsisted. well if anyone has any comments or ideas let me know...

Old 04-08-2001, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

You are lucky! Go get it registered and get a much bigger chain/lock!

Congrats on finding it...

Old 04-08-2001, 06:32 PM
Range Rover

also keep a 12 guage and/or paintball gun handy.

glad you found it, sure would suck if it was stolen.

Old 04-08-2001, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok heres an update. i started messing around with it myself and i can't get it to start either. they cut the ignition switch out and tried to hotwire it. i have a service manual for it so i started messing around with it and tried to hotwire it, but i couldnt get it to go, the lights won't even turn on; no power at all. next i wired the switch back up and put the key in and turned it on and it still wouldnt work. do you think the problem is that since they cut the switch out i just plain need to get a new one? i'm thinking that there's something else wrong, and thats the reason that they couldnt make off with it in the first place. i checked the battery voltage and it was fully charged. if nobody else has a clue whats going on with i'm going to start tracing some wiring diagrams, later...

Old 04-08-2001, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry to here about your luck, but then again you faired ok. I thought that if the two wires are together that should give a complete circuit and power should come on and you should be able to start it. Are there any fuses on your warrior. Check those. They may have jerked some wireing loose in the heat of the moment and left you with the headache. Anyway I'm glad to hear that there plot was foiled and like you said they must not have been to smart to not have a getaway truck.

Must have been teenagers

Old 04-08-2001, 07:18 PM
Range Rover

well the best i can think of is that while they were driving it away the engine died and they had a hard time restarting it so they may have just got really pissed off and could have posibly cut some wires? also if the warior has a fuse box check it for blown fuses, the may have crosed some wires causing a short trying to restart it.
good luck.

Old 04-08-2001, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok another chapter....the warrior dosnt have a fuse box, it only has one fuse and i checked that; it was fine. now i remember when i tried to hotwire it; i noticed that they did cross the wrong two wires. i wired it up the way it should be and i still get no power at all. i'm thinking something is blown, anyone got a clue what it could be?

Trending Topics

Old 04-08-2001, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

wire the black and the black and white wire together, then put a screwdriver or something across the starter selenoid to jump it and it will fire up! then get a new key switch. the starter selenoid is under the left rear fender...

Old 04-09-2001, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 96 warrior, and i believe the wiring should be the same on yours. I would replace the fuse anyway, there is a spare one on the machine. Then connect the brown and red wires up at the ignition, it should fire right up.

Old 04-10-2001, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

I am thinking 2 things... 1. call the police, report it and if you have insurance, make them pay to have it checked out and fixed. 2. this will put your VIN# on record w/ the police so that if anyone tries it again and you don't have a title yet, you will be covered. Not to mention if you get pissed at it and trash it, now the police have a record of a theft attempt and will believe you when you report it stolen and they find it in a gulley somewhere. :-) Take as much of this as you want as serious, and just laugh at the rest.
Glad to hear it didn't get away from you though!

Quick Reply: warrior almost stolen