Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Banshee Rear Brake Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 05:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Banshee Rear Brake Help

Good morning.
It's just my personality type, but I like to try to repair stuff so everything works as it should. With that said, I bought a new/used rear parking brake cable and new clutch assembly to get my parking brake back to function. The original cable was frozen and the clutch handle was mangled up.
So I put everything back as it should but I am a little confused. When I actuate the parking brake, it pulls the cable. When the cable is pulled, it pulls the parking brake lever arm towards the center of the atv. In my case this makes the brake disengage, or the mechanical piston/assembly seems to come out vs go in and apply pressure to the pads. In other words, if I adjust the screw and push the arm the OTHER way, or make the cable come out, is when the brake actuates..
I'm a little confused (as was a buddy) when we saw this. It appears someone was in the rear caliper at one point as there is red silicon around the mechanical brake mechanism. Is it possible that something was put in there backwards that would make the brake work backwards? The actual hydraulic portion works fine.
If I take the two bolts out and remove that section is it full of fluid?

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only advice I can offer in this case, buy a nice parking brake block off plate and toss the rest of that stuff in a junk drawer or the trash. Those things always need adjusting and never seem to work well anyway. The new style Yamaha uses is great, but I even replace those too.

Otherwise, sounds like something is assembled wrong, I would get a service manual, if you like to keep your stuff in top shape, they are invaluable.