Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

98 Grizzly Oil Cooler Relocation Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 07:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question # 1
Has anyone out there installed the oil cooler relocation kit on their 98 Grizzly, and if so, how much did it help?

Unlike everyone elses it seems, my 98 runs hot. I am entertaining purchasing the relocation kit to see if it helps. I am sure it will help to some degree (pun intended) as the moose winch mount blocks some of the air flow in its current location.

Question # 2

Where is the most cost effective place (reads cheapest place) to order a kit from. The local dealer is quoting me the list price of $99.99 which seems steep for 2 hose extensions and a bracket. I recently found another place, www.4wheelerparts.com who advertised them for rough $50, but he is out of stock and is closing down shop. Any ideas?

Thanks Allen L. Grooms
98 Grizzly - One Hot Machine

Old 04-13-2001, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 98 grizz and just relocated the oil cooler about a month ago. It's real easy and you don't really have to buy any kit. I just cut the two brackets (that hold the cooler) at the frame. then welded (bolting would work also) a piece of metal to the top of the frame then bolted the cooler in like original. works great. the bike runs cooler and it keeps it from pluging up with mud. The whole thing took maybe any hour or so and it's a piece of cake. Good Luck

Old 04-15-2001, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

Green Mountain,

Did you have enough existing tubing or did you have to add some?

Thanks Allen L. Grooms
98 Grizzly 1700 Miles
One Hot Machine

Old 08-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did the same thing. I cut off the brackets, bolted them to a piece of aluminum flat bar, and then u-bolted the flat bar to the frame above where the oil cooler was originally located. My over heating problem went away.

I also used the heat wrap on the exhaust pipe, but found little effect and didn't replace the wrap after it fell apart.

Jeff

Old 08-08-2002, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I used the same oil hoses and just re-routed them above the front differential. I used plastic tie straps and duct tape to make sure they would not be rubbing against any stearing mechanisms. I don't like the quality of the work and should have purchased the longer oil hoses and used the original routing location under the differential.

Be careful when you remove the hoses from the cooler. Aluminum and steel create a special bond that makes them hard to separate. If you are not careful, then you can damage the cooler and have to buy a new one. I know.