Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

TAO TAO 110cc not running (Got me Stumped)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TAO TAO 110cc not running (Got me Stumped)

Hi Guys,

New to this forum but I've used it countless times to address different issues. Thanks in advance.

I have 2 110 TAO TAO atv's I purchased new for my kids in 2013. I've never had a problem with either one until last night. One of the machines started up and was running fine as always but the other would not. Here's what I've done so far:

Checked all kill and starting switches (all good)
Checked Battery (all good)
Replaced spark plug and checked for spark (all good).
Drained old gas and added a bit of sea foam.
Checked CDI by using the one from my running machine (all good)
Removed air filter and sprayed in some carb cleaner. Also removed all hoses from carb and sprayed in cleaner. I would have taken the carb apart but I'm having a hard time removed the screw cap which holds the throttle cable in place on the top of the carb.
Checked to make sure I'm getting gas to the carb. (all good)

After I cleaned the carb the machine started and ran for about 10 seconds on full choke. As soon as i tried to adjust the choke it died and now will not start again no matter what I try. I've adjusted the fuel/air mix screw a bit and now I'm afraid I've messed that up. I do have the other machine to use as a reference so I might look at how deep that screw is set to at least get them close to the same.

I'm stumped at this point and hoping somebody here might have some advice.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:18 PM
Banned

You may need to do a compression test. Sounds like you have low compression. You may also need to check that valves. Whygostock sell all of the tools you would need to investigate more.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you need to clean out that carb. Spray those screws holding down the cap with Kroil or equivalent penetrant and let it soak to loosen.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I don't know your machine but I hardly ever take the cable off. If you can get at the screws holding the float bowl on, with the cable in place, remove the bowl, clean it and the jets out and put it back together.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
I don't know your machine but I hardly ever take the cable off. If you can get at the screws holding the float bowl on, with the cable in place, remove the bowl, clean it and the jets out and put it back together.
True, but it's good to clean out the cylinder/plunger areas too. Also, those side needles also have springs, washers and o-rings in them, more work if the carb is still attached to the throttle cable. Either way, I still think the OP should sort out the screws.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

do a turo clean of the carb..was the hose that comes of of carb leaking petrole before stoped? if so it may need to be adjusted

Old 06-27-2015, 01:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you pull the slide, pay attention to the **** & grooves! If you put it back together wrong, it'll be close to wot when she starts. (Wide Open Throttle)

Old 06-28-2015, 02:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Unless there is grit in the slide or you need to move the needle, there is no point whatsoever in removing the throttle slide. The grit that blocks jets comes in the fuel and will not get into the slide. So, if you have a blocked jet, all you need to do is remove the float bowl to get at the jets, and clean them.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I replaced the carb last night. Thought for sure that would do the trick...nothing. I have another identical ATV and I swapped the CDI. It is working fine. Like I said before, I had the ATV running for about 10 secs before it died. Makes me think this can't be an electrical/ safety shut off issue but maybe I'm wrong. I spray starter fluid in the carb and it will start and run for about 2 secs. I just can't figure it out. Its the original air filter but it wasn't really that dirty so I couldn't imagine that's the culprit.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:24 AM
Trailblazer

does battery die after trying to start it up ? if so it may be ur rectifer not charging the battery causing it it cut out .....also did u clean out the petrol thank incase dirth or anything is in it ? also check if fuel is passing at a good speed through the fuel line.

Quick Reply: TAO TAO 110cc not running (Got me Stumped)