Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

powervalved 350RZ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2001, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm gonna go to my dealer and steal the microfiches...hehe.
The pipes bolt on? that's funny...and I believe a flange is easy to do (it has to).
Unbelievable...it looks real good. I'm gonna look if those bikes were sold in canada, look in diff scrapyards, ask my dealer if he has any detailed inside pictures (especially the water thing)...if I find a set of cylinders for a fair price ->powervalved shee!
Is the head similar or did they change it? Actually, I don't really see any reason for them to change the head, but...
man does this look good...I hope Kiwi Craig's site doesn't have bad news for me...

Old 04-10-2001, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

GREAT!!!
thanks a bunch...I'm gonna look at this thoroughly (sp?), and decide what I'll do....the temptation is slightly huge....I really like that idea...some technology, reliable...oh boy oh boy I really like this...really really.
tonighticture looking
tomorrow: scrapyard calling
friday: powervalving...haha
Maybe not that quick, but I really like this idea...it just looks too easy...just bolting the cylinders, making an exhaust flange and some work on the coolant zone...that's nothing compared to being able to say "I have a powervalved banshee"

Old 04-11-2001, 01:11 AM
Range Rover

If you have specific questions as to the layout or bolt pattern, I could check my RZ350 in the garage. The power valves are electric, at least they operate through their full stroke as a test when the key is turned on (before the bike is started). When I looked earlier tonight, I could have sworn there more than four head bolts per cylinder. Do you have any questions, or would a digital picture help?
Lorrin Lee

Old 04-11-2001, 09:22 AM
Range Rover

A freind of mine had a RD 400 so I am pretty sure they were sold into Canada. His was not powervalved I always thought it was the RZ that was powervlved but I could be wrong. There was powervalved RZ 350 about an hour away from me but I dont know what happened to it.

Old 04-11-2001, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

Wow!!
I have had more replies than I would ever imagine!! on the forum, and by email.

Here's what I've been told from all around.
The cylinders bolt right on, and I have to use the RD head. I should use the RD pistons rather than banshee ones. Biggest trouble is electrical. I have to use all the RD ignition (flywheel, stator, battery, CDI, regulator, PV servo...etc). I have to build custom exhaust flanges to adapt the "bolt on" to "spring on" pipe.
And that should be about it. I can have a top end (except pistons), and am looking around me to see if anyone closer has these parts. This will kick butt!

Thanks to everyone who helped me on this...and keep all the info coming.

Old 04-11-2001, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

Zorro remember they stator taht you will get off the donor motor has a higher output than the stock banshee so you can run brighter aftermarket lites which is a added bonus.

Old 04-11-2001, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

Zorro remember they stator taht you will get off the donor motor has a higher output than the stock banshee so you can run brighter aftermarket lites which is a added bonus.

Old 04-11-2001, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

Yeap. It's 150 or 180W.
It's incredible, it would do all the mods I wanted in one shot!
-Battery
-Heavier flywheel (more inertia ->more hp to the ground)
-More powerful stator (I'm gonna be adding lights everywhere)
-More coolant head capacity
-More low end hp
-More top end hp
-A little more weight (battery...I'll put it on the back so it "lightens" the front)

I now know all the stuff needed. Just a matter of time (and money also a little).
Now the question is...do I do it before the Silver Lake trip (and have very little testing), or after (and take my time to triple check everything)?
Would someone like to see a YPVS shee in SL?

Old 04-11-2001, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

In 1983 Yamaha changed the designation from RD to RZ in Canada, but in the UK and I believe the US they kept the RD. It doesn't matter, all the motors were the same, and had the YPVS, which does not really boost peak output, but does allow for a much broader spread of power.
I puzzeled too as to why Yamaha never adapted the YPVS to the Banshee, or why you never hear about it being done, but it definatly sounds like a good idea. I wish you the best of luck.

Trx, Pre-1983 RD's did not have the power valves, and only the '81 and '82 were the RD L/C's. The RD 400 to which you refer was an aircooled motor from the '70's, and though it was quick, light and fun in it's day, it was really outclassed by the RD 350 L/C. They do make great restoration projects though.

Old 04-11-2001, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

newfiebullet,
I agree with everything you said, except one...peak hp. With the valve closed, the closing of the exhaust port occurs 2.5mm lower than a standard banshee (that's where the lowend power comes from), and at high rpm (valve open), the closing occurs 3mm higher. That sounds like a good porting to me. Added to this intake ports from the rz are bigger than the banshee...it should scream like a ported banshee for top end, and like a big bore on low...that's what I would think...but I might be wrong.
On mobiledyno, they have a comparative chart between the rz and the shee. the rz is always more powerful, whatever rpm we're looking at. It really looks awesome, and as you said, I'm very surprised that not every banshee owner has this (figure the guys who spent 700$ on a big bore kit!). About this "absence", I have heard that the parts being rare, the guys who have it don't say it caus they don't want to run out of parts...which is realistic, but not what I would do. Also, maybe not everyone knows about the powervalved RZs...and maybe some even don't know their banshee engine comes from a road bike (they spend too much time riding )...it could be true, some Raptor owners are convinced Yamaha built them a brand new engine (to whoever is convinced the Raptor engine is new ->).

Anyway, everyone, when (note WHEN, not IF) I have this setup ready and running, I'll keep you informed on how it runs...I'd like to do a comparative dyno, with standard cylinders (I netter hurry to do it) and powervalved...that'd be fun. Exact same setup, just adding the powervalves.

Quick Reply: powervalved 350RZ?