Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

100mph banshee

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2001, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i went to rotten.com and looked at that thing i'm not touching 100 i'm goina barley touch 80 maybe 70 that was the most rounchy thing i have ever seen i don't want to be like that guy now i understand the scared straight program

Old 04-15-2001, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

a piped banshee will go 78-80, that should be plenty fast, just go with that.

Old 04-15-2001, 04:18 PM
Trailblazer

my mistake sorry man

Old 04-15-2001, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

i have a 87 banshee. i was 14 last year hitting 50 ft doubles doing heelclickers and no-foot can cans , stalefish seran wraps, you name it i probably did it. i have pics if you don't belive me. now im 15 and i can handle my banshee pretty good. im 5'4-5'5, 130 pounds. this kid sounds like he could handle it. if i can he probably can.

Old 04-16-2001, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Ok... for starters... Glad to see you say you were scared straight (well.. as far as the speed goes.) My thoughts are this.
#1 - Damn glad I live in the USA cause if I was up there and saw someone running even 80 mph down the highway on a quad, I would follow them, wait till they stopped, beat the **** out of them and then trash their bike beyond repair. There is NO reason for that. If you have that far to go, PUT IT ON A TRAILER!!!
#2 - There is a kids out there that can handle Banshees and what-not before they are 16 (I know I could have) but that isn't the point. The point is that these products are made for 16 and over. There is a point behind this that has nothing to do w/ size or ability. It is maturity.... most kids don't know what to do/not to do w/ something this powerful and DANGEROUS.
#3 - If you are set on riding at crazy speeds, on the road, and while you still haven't had the time/experience to find out what consiquences are possibly... then at least keep you parents filled in so that they know where to look when they don't hear from you, can try to convince you otherwise, or do whatever they see fit. You are still "under their control."
Oh yeah... and I am only 21 so I am not too far removed from those days and know how curiousity is... but remember that dang cat that curiousity killed!!!

Old 04-16-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

hey woodswarrior this is a little off topic but i see you live up north, do you ever race at plymouth?

Old 04-17-2001, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

No I haven't riden there... is it just racing, or can is it open for riding? Where else can I ride? The only places I know of are the Badlands and Haspins.
By the way.. this will probably get moved to the "where to ride" page, so don't be surprised if you don't see it here.

Old 04-17-2001, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, I came to this site, looking around and wondering if it was a decent place to have discussions. I have noticed by this thread that most of you are people who think you know everything. Well I may be a rookie on this site, but I also have been riding for a long a$$ time.

I have a 94 Banshee and I can hit 94 mph, how do I know? I have had it radar gunned and I am 6'1" 290 in weight. Now the fact he wants it to hit 100mph, no problem, it isnt going to take 10 grand to do it...sheeesh people if ya dont know keep ur mouth shut....

I have a ported and polished motor, rad valves, FMF pipe with silencers, I am running a one size up in tire/rim size so instead of a 9x9 rim I am running a 9x10 rim. I also have the front sprocket modified by one tooth size. It is jetted accordingly and running a UNI filter with pro design mount and a motion pro twist throttle. The carbs have been shaved and I am not done with it. I can keep it pinned for a short time and I run woods trails with it on a regular basis along with MX tracks.

The total I have into this machine is 2400.00 for the bike itself and about 1300 in misc parts...

Now tell me how that adds up to 10 grand for a 100 mph...One gear modification and I will be over 100, because I have been.

Now, for those of you that sit here and are calling him an idiot or other added flavors of that word, I challenge you to actually talk with respect to other people. Obviously you do not know him and you do not know me and I can almost guarantee that I will get flamed for this...I frankly dont care.

I also will add that I am a mechanic for 3 class B MX racers and one class A racer. I have been doing this since I was 12 and I am currently 33.

Have a great day and Banshee4life, I wish you well in your endeavours, just a note for you though, speed is not what it is all about, unless you are willing to pay the price that may come with it. I know this from experience.

Old 04-17-2001, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

AirBornBanshee:

I understand where you are coming from. And I agree that you can make your banshee go 100mph...
Mine is near there...But try to do it for 45 minutes strait. That was the stretching point for this topic...that and the age of the poster. (14)
Your right about everyone seeming to be a know it all....I hope I don't come across that way. But posts like this from a 14 year old are obsurd. I am not an "official mechanic" , but I will talk shop with you anytime you like. I bet I would fair just fine.
Your not the only one that has been riding all their life. (bikes and quads)
You can tell the responses that need to be taken with a grain of salt I usually can.
My response might have been a bit rude (recommending a blaster)....But if a 14 year old really needs to ask someone (over the internet no less) how to make a 350 twin go 100 and to maintain that speed for almost an hour...then I think a bit more experience on a smaller machine is in the cards. If the person in question was truly knowledgable with a machine of that magnitude...then they would not have to ask how to cool the beast down..... I mean really...you say you have a fast banshee (arent they all). Would you try to peg it for even 20 minutes? I am not trying to start anything or get into a war with you. But you came into this post...Not with an answer...But Rather a claim to be the only pro here? And then comments on how everyone else is a know it all....when that's exactly how you came across. As I re- read alot of these responses. I too get angry at the representation of our sport. Even myself, this time, am guilty of responding in a not so pleasing way. I will try to curb that. But like you mentioned...after a "couple" of years in this hobby....some posts just make you think about when you were first starting out. But you want to know what is even better...I guess I don't even know why I am responding to this post again...I just felt like something must be said. Oh well...everyone have a nice day. And...AirBornBanshee: Don't get disturbed or take anything to heart. I'm probably closer to understanding you than you think.

Old 04-17-2001, 02:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

That was a great response and I am actually impressed as he||!!! I did not mean to come accross as a know it all or come accross as a professional by no means, but after reading all the previous posts I can understand if I came accross that way.

My whole deal was that we do not have that much left after the eco-***** have done their deeds...and the petty slamming I was seeing was making me sick. The fact that a 14 year old wants to go that fast...well....I did when I was 14, as did my nephew who is one of the racers I wrench for. He was a banshee rider from the age of 14 and he is 26 now. He wanted a bike and I taught him how to race MX last summer and he is now a class B rider...I am not taking credit for that, but well...ok maybe a lil **patting myself on the back**

But bottom line what bothered me is the slamming that was happening...40 minutes at that high speed...to beh honest the 2 stroke motor will not take that...not to mention with the mods you would need to do you would have to get an oversized gas tank. I have had mine pinned at 85+ for about 3-5 minutes...but that was it....and it was HOTTTTTT at that point...

If I came accross as a know it all, my apologies...but it just seemed that everyone is judging him on his age and his question more then the simple answer without knowing his true experience as a rider...as cold hearted as this sounds...its his life...not ours...ya know???

Quick Reply: 100mph banshee