Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2006 yfz 450 problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2006 yfz 450 problem

Got an 06 yfz 450. I left the back in Canada, I live in the states. Before it say in a garage for about 7 or 8 months, it ran great. Came back a couple weeks ago and fired it right up and drove it for about 10-20 min until it died on me and wouldn't start. Oil was low and I changed the spark, cleaned the carb, drained the gas, new oil and now it will start but die on cue just sitting on idle like something is turning it off. I have gas flow and let me mind you. I drove it hard before I left to the states 7 months ago and there is something loose in the aftermarket exhaust and my air box snapped off and is being held by temporary rods but is connected to the bike just fine. Could it be a sensor? Also after a couple idle runs the battery feels like it's dead and won't turn over, till I charge it. What else should I do? Any suggestions?

Old 07-31-2016, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine was doing the same thing in a way. Does it turn over then like click? Check for a power draw. Check the starter relay and stator mine was the stator I have 13.5:1 compression so I put ricks racing in it and no more problems good luck

Old 07-31-2016, 09:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Nelson Lawler
Mine was doing the same thing in a way. Does it turn over then like click? Check for a power draw. Check the starter relay and stator mine was the stator I have 13.5:1 compression so I put ricks racing in it and no more problems good luck
But the bike has barely been ridin. Do you think the stator could have gone that fast?? I ordered a new solenoid and a starter relay to see if that will do the trick

Old 07-31-2016, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Exactly it's nearly been sitting it's whole life it could have gunk or something on it I would try to take it out and take a look at it and see. Did you check the carb maybe it needs cleaning or ajustment just something to think to about

Old 07-31-2016, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by NelsonLawler
Exactly it's nearly been sitting it's whole life it could have gunk or something on it I would try to take it out and take a look at it and see. Did you check the carb maybe it needs cleaning or ajustment just something to think to about
What does a bad stator look like? I took apart the carb and it looked very good, cleaned it anyways. What adjustments can I make?

Old 08-01-2016, 02:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

A bad stator can have burnt insulation on one of the coils, but you can often check electrically, without stripping. Assuming it is a three wire set up, disconnect the wiring connector from the stator, all wires from the stator should have the same resistance when you connect an ohm meter between any two of them. Also no wire should short to earth. It is possible your voltage regulator is at fault, but the machine usually won't spark, or runs OK until the battery goes flat if that is at fault.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay if my stator is okay, then what would be the problem then? Also, is there a chance that the engine is seized? What would a new stator run me? Thank you guys

Old 08-01-2016, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I doubt the motor is seized a rocks racing stator will run 150 ish I would recommend I would clean out the carb just because it's good practice and might help u out then i would cheak for a draw fire it up and take out the battery while it's running if it dies it is most likely your stator if it keeps running your stator is good and I would pick up a white tester and see if you get a draw when you hit the start button is should never be more then 2 volts and same with the light switch. Then I would check all the wires assuming there is no dry rot cracks uncovered ends then check the red wire that runs from the relay to the body if this seems dry rotted or cracked or chewed up replace the wire good luck. Might want to consider a dealer looking at it before you spend more money

Old 08-01-2016, 10:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ops didn't see have you summed the valves or replaced the springs yet? How many hours are on the machine?
.+