Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha bear tracker

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha bear tracker

Hey guys so my bear trackers transmission is locked up, i was driving it and it just locked up, it still moves but with much resistance, the reverse lever is hard to move to, its nothing stuck in the brakes either.
Also oil leaks from the shaft boot. any diagnosis or what the problem may be?

Old 10-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Maybe it could be the "middle gear" that attaches to the drive shaft. That's much easier to get at than splitting the engine to get inside the tranny.

Otherwise, something broke in the tranny unfortunately - a sprocket, arm, dog, or a shaft. If it's leaking, the metal got chewed up a bit and has caused a seal to be damages.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by lciummo
Maybe it could be the "middle gear" that attaches to the drive shaft. That's much easier to get at than splitting the engine to get inside the tranny.

Otherwise, something broke in the tranny unfortunately - a sprocket, arm, dog, or a shaft. If it's leaking, the metal got chewed up a bit and has caused a seal to be damages.
thanks for the reply, How would i go about getting to the middle gear? just take the cover off where the reverse lever rod goes into? I cant seem to find anything on youtube for bear trackers, thanks.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is 2WD?

Old 10-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would follow something similar like a Moto 4 2WD of that era. I know there are Moto 4 trans videos on youtube. I have a moto 4 service manual (40MB) if you want it, or look around for one for your model.

All the transmission/middle gear service procedures start out with "Remove the engine" unfortunately.

LArry

Old 10-11-2016, 07:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure its the transmission and not the rear end? If the rear end is shot, it can lock up too.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by greg74
Are you sure its the transmission and not the rear end? If the rear end is shot, it can lock up too.
thats quite possible, but wouldnt the lever be able to move freely if it was the rear end? but also it does stay locked in neutral so very well could be

Old 10-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

The best teardown vide for the Yamaha engine is

If you take off the clutch cover, you'll see where the shift lever rotates a sproket, that in turns moves a cylinder that causes the tranny to shift. The cylinder in the tranny has groves in it that cause arms to move gears around the two shafts in the transmission. It's likely that this cylinder maybe have broken to it's not shifting correctly, or one of the gears that move on the shaft has one of the dogs/slots broken or worn.

Also watch this video to see how a moto transmissions works -

Once you get the engine out, you have to split the crankcase (filled with oil - very messy) to get at the tranny gears,

Might be worth checking the rear differential first -diconnect and see if it moves smoothly, then check the HL/R sub transmission. Check all these before pulling the engine and starting the inside checking.

Good luck
LArry

Old 12-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer

So I finally got around to messing with the bear tracker, the rear end has been ruled out, that's not the problem. now to ripping apart the engine

Old 12-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you sure you have the reverse lever in the proper position!! My wifes tracker locked up similar to what you describe and I found the reverse lever not fully engaged/disengaged. She couldn't get it to budge and I had to man handle it but it finally popped out or in and all was good. Just something to check before you tear apart the engine.

Quick Reply: Yamaha bear tracker