Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

03 raptor 660 starter short

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 raptor 660 starter short

I have a gremlin in my 30 raptor 660, I went through a large puddle a few weeks ago trail riding and about 5 min later the quad stalled and the starter kept turning over. it would only stop by disconnecting the battery. I replace the starter relay when I bought it earlier this year. I had to go through the carbs to get it running again and replaced the starter relay again. after starting it a few times it did it again. any ideas? I also believe I will have to replace my starter soon due to it continuously turning over (haven't had a chance to take a look at the gear)

Id like to get this figured out, It makes me nervous to take it back out to the trails again.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't know if you have a three position ignition switch or the two position and a start button on the left hand control switch. If the latter could possibly be in the control switch start button engaging at times. You might use some electrical contact cleaner in the cracks and crevices and work all the buttons several times and see if that helps.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ill take a look, But I can say is the start button seems to work fine most the times and wont start it when the switch is of and the key is off. When it start on if its "Episodes" Switching the kill switch and turning the key off make no difference.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

There are some faulty starter solenoids out there. Our non genuine parts seller recently changed supplier, the first of the "new type" lasted a day before sticking. We had one of the earlier type in the parts bin, fitted it, and the bike has been OK. A battery with a dead cell can make solenoids stick. It slows the starter a bit, but seems much like a normal battery, except the solenoid will stick.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

01 raptor 660 starter is lock and when I try to start it it just click try to spin it by hand and it won't move

Old 04-03-2017, 10:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's the starter itself and not a solenoid or one way clutch problem,you can either rebuild it with a new brush kit or get a new one. You can go from cheap to expensive.2001 Raptor 660 starter motor | eBay