Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

93 Kodiak 400 shifting issues

Old 12-19-2016, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Kodiak 400 shifting issues

My wheeler is having shifting issues. It's a 93 kodiak 400. It has a tough time finding a gear. When it does, it likes to slip out randomly, generally when you let off the throttle. Any starting point suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a general knowledge of motors, but when it comes to shifting mechanisms, I'm in uncharted territory. Thanks!

Old 12-20-2016, 03:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

It is years since I did a Yam selector mechanism, but I recall the problem was a loose star wheel, wear in a dowel was cured by Loctite liquid metal. Our local Yam dealer advised this and said it was quite common. We do more with Hondas, and they get loose star wheels too.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
It is years since I did a Yam selector mechanism, but I recall the problem was a loose star wheel, wear in a dowel was cured by Loctite liquid metal. Our local Yam dealer advised this and said it was quite common. We do more with Hondas, and they get loose star wheels too.
​​​​​​​thanks for the advice. I'll give that a shot and let you know. Hoping to tear it apart this weekend. Are there timing slots in the gears you have to line up when digging in to stuff like this?

Old 12-21-2016, 03:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

It is so long ago I don't remember. I think the star wheel is in the clutch housing, so I didn't need to take much apart to get at it.