Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help

Old 01-21-2017, 01:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

I have a 98 big bear 350 4x4 and it won't start. The starter button doesn't work the only way I can get it to turn over is jumping the selinoid or pull rope it has spark, fuel, power but will not start. I have even tried starting fluid and still nothing. I am at wit's end someone please help me out

Old 01-21-2017, 07:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

If the neutral light etc works when you switch on, your problem is the solenoid, or the start button, or a safety lock out, or the wires to them. Does the solenoid click when you press the button, if it does, but the starter doesn't turn, you have a faulty solenoid. If it doesn't click, check the back of the handlebar switch, if it doesn't contact when pressed, the switch is faulty, on most Yams they can be dismantled and cleaned, but it is a fiddly job. If it is OK, you just have to check the wiring to/from the switch and solenoid, but with safety lock outs etc, this wiring can be complex.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't get anything from the handle bars after I turn the key on no lights nothing. Lights try to come on when I jump the selinoid and can you explain the safety switch and where I can find it

Old 01-21-2017, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

First off is your kill switch on the left handlebar in the "run" position?

but i had same problem last year with my big bear...turned out my key switch was faulty. So instead of buying new one I took it apart and made the contacts so the key is technically always on...even tho I don't have a key...there are 3 contact points first clean them up real good....then just turn it to each one until it starts. When it does lock it in that position. I did it with zip ties and duct tape. Haven't had a problem since. I just use the kill switch on the handlebars now

Old 01-22-2017, 04:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I can't remember what the lock-out is on those old Big Bears, probably to do with the neutral wire. However if the lights etc, only work once the solenoid is jumped, you have a problem in the wire between the battery and regulator. There is a main fuse, which may have blown, but these bikes will usually start when jumped, so you may have something shorting which has blown the fuse.