Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2017 honda rubicon or grizzly 700

Old 07-03-2017, 01:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maybehonda
I'm going to be buying a new ATV in the next month. I have it narrowed down to these two machines.

I have test driven them both, just around a parking lot.

I currently own a 550 arctic cat. I put 27in mud bugs with a aggressive clutch kit it. I REALLY like the low end torque it has.

My main uses for the ATV are:
-hauling big loads of wet firewood (600-1000lbs)
-hunting
- LOTS of deep soggy muskeg
-putting around trails with mud
-trapping- pulling a 300lbs sled through deep snow in -20
-towing a 17ft lund rebel with 50hp 4 stroke into back lakes. Trails are hilly

HONDA

I really like the honda, however I have to concerns

1) The torque sensing 4wd system. I have riden with honda guys before and it seems this system doesn't engage fast enough. With other machines while you are in 4wd, it is always in 4wd. The honda is in 2wd until the system senses it needs to engage in 4wd. To me this is not good, because I don't need to start to get stuck before it get 4wd. THe honda needs to feel slippage in order to go into 4wd. In mud and muskeg this doesn't seem ideal.

2) Im not sure the Honda has the power I need. I will be putting on 27/28 inch wider more agrressive tires. Can the honda turn these easily in muskeg? I'm taking up to the fenders muskeg.

I also haul a lot of weight with my quad. A tub trailer often with 600-1000lbs and I use the quad to haul a 17 foot lund rebel with a heavy 50 hp 4stroke outboard.

Can the honda do all this without a gear reducing kit?

I know the DCT has a low range, but I checked and the gear ration is actually slightly bigger than the old foreman 500 foot shifts.

Yamaha

concerns

1) The ride seems weird to me. The suspension just has too much give. Im told even with it set to the firmest setting it will still feel this way. I am wondering how much torque is lost when in low range and I push the throttle and the suspension just squats before the torque can turn the tires.

2) Is the yamaha as reliable as the honda?

3) Does it have a pull start back up?
i have a grizzly. I woud chose it you can adjust suspension to it suits you noth beats its reliability hondas are nice i just lije the fuel injected electric power steering and independent suspension. Lock in the differential and not much will stop it i was always a honda fan until the grizzly Not going to lie when diff is locked and climbing a steep hill you have to comit to it the grizzly doesnt like steep hills and goind sideways its up or down lol the clearance is worth it though in the rocks

Old 07-03-2017, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Grizzlyrider1
i have a grizzly. I woud chose it you can adjust suspension to it suits you noth beats its reliability hondas are nice i just lije the fuel injected electric power steering and independent suspension. Lock in the differential and not much will stop it i was always a honda fan until the grizzly Not going to lie when diff is locked and climbing a steep hill you have to comit to it the grizzly doesnt like steep hills and goind sideways its up or down lol the clearance is worth it though in the rocks
and no the grizzly doesnt have a pull start sorry

Old 07-03-2017, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

My mechanic works on all makes and claims that Yamahas are the most reliable. BTW, you probably wouldn't want a pull start on a 700 cc model, unless you are a weight lifter. Personally I would go with the Grizzly.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think only the smaller carb machines have backup pull start. Efi needs a fully charged battery to work.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer

yea im sute your right but it would be nice to have when the starter goes down.$$$

Old 07-04-2017, 02:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Honda 420s are efi and have a pull start, like Hydrex wrote pull starting a 700 is almost impossible, old 700 King Quads had one, and I couldn't pull start it.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both my Grizzly 660 I had previous and my Brute I have now have backup pull start. I wouldn't even want to try to pull start my Brute, I can only imagine how hard it would be. The Rancher 420 has a lot less power, it probably would be managable to pull start. The older Honda models had backup kickstart, or at least the 300 fourtrax I had did. I never had to use it though. I think the newer Honda models can be purchased with backup pull start but its an addon accessory. I might have to take a closer look at other new models to see if they actually have it. Nobody would be able to pull start a 1000cc machine though, it would be impossible.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Be assured the Honda will not pull the weight that the grizzly will pull!! Honda's do not have much of a tow rating and are not very capable of turning bigger tires. The Honda electric shift transmissions can get real expensive to fix when they have problems and that is another reason their tow rating is low. Honda makes good stuff don't get me wrong but more from a reliability standpoint if not used under severe conditions. With the work your describing your wanting to do, the griz or a CanAm would be a much better choice. Like you I am not a fan of the auto 4x4 drive, to much mechanical stuff to go wrong, Polaris has shown the issues they have with theirs. I like to know which drive I am using ahead of time. On a recent ride with some friends I followed a Polaris Ranger thru some serious mud, he made it thru OK but almost didn't due to his machine deciding on the 4wd mode to use. On my machine, I simply flipped on the diff lock and plowed right thru without a single issue.....felt much more comfortable to me!!

Old 07-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to pull start my KQ750 (722cc single) one time and that is all it took. I thought my shoulder socket came out.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:47 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Be assured the Honda will not pull the weight that the grizzly will pull!! Honda's do not have much of a tow rating and are not very capable of turning bigger tires. The Honda electric shift transmissions can get real expensive to fix when they have problems and that is another reason their tow rating is low. Honda makes good stuff don't get me wrong but more from a reliability standpoint if not used under severe conditions. With the work your describing your wanting to do, the griz or a CanAm would be a much better choice. Like you I am not a fan of the auto 4x4 drive, to much mechanical stuff to go wrong, Polaris has shown the issues they have with theirs. I like to know which drive I am using ahead of time. On a recent ride with some friends I followed a Polaris Ranger thru some serious mud, he made it thru OK but almost didn't due to his machine deciding on the 4wd mode to use. On my machine, I simply flipped on the diff lock and plowed right thru without a single issue.....felt much more comfortable to me!!
i adjusted my shocks to 4th setting it has more pulling power then stock setting helps alot glides threw the mud to .