Oil Blow By

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Blow By

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and to being an ATV owner

I received an 02 Warrior 350 on a trade last week. I don't know much about ATV's. when I got it fired up this morning it is blowing oil out of the crankcase vent hose. it doesn't smell like oil and its very thin almost watery. I want to change the oil and filter but I haven't been able to find out the capacity on line. I have been told that the bike wasn't really maintained for how much it was used.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I don't know anything about the Warrior model, but if the oil level is high and smells like fuel, it is usually someone has blocked the carb overflow pipe, or lifted it higher than the float bowl so, if the carb does overflow due to a leaky float needle, the fuel runs into cylinder and airbox instead of down the overflow pipe, and onto the floor.

Most quads take between 2 and 3 litres of oil, there will be a dipstick, to show how much there should be, put 2 litres in, then slowly pour in more, checking dipstick as you do so. If it has an alloy sump plug, a socket that is a perfect fit is essential, or you will round the hex off, and it is spring loaded, with a sump strainer on the other end of the spring, lots of fun getting that assembly back in again.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blow by

I changed the oil in the bike. There was so much that it filled my drain pan. After refilling the oil to the proper level it stopped coming out of the vent. On another note once it warmed up the clutches started slipping really bad in third gear and in up. I had planned on changing the oil again after riding it once just to get fresh oil everywhere.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you use an oil that is for wet clutch system. Car oil won't work. I use Rotella T6 in all my quads.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Did you check that carb overflow pipe? If it is plugged, or routed upwards, next time the float needle sticks it will fill the sump with fuel again.

Adjust the clutch, and test the bike before changing oil again as, if one of the clutches is worn out, you will need to drain the oil to get at it.