Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

buying a banshee...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a banshee...

Hello,

Looking to get back in to the world of sport quads being that I moved somewhere that doing so is more feasible. I've been looking at the banshees, since I've lusted over them ever since I was a child.

Thing is, since they aren't made any more, I have no choice but to go used, and I don't know what's a good deal and what isn't. A few have caught my eye, such as this one.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/snw/d/...351957789.html

It seems like a good deal, but I'm not sure.

Hell, I'm not even sure if a banshee would be the best quad for me. I'd be doing mostly trail riding maybe some dunes, but the only real experience I have with quads is a 250 and 400ex that I rode from time to time that did not belong to me. I'm 5'8, 150 lbs.

Any input is appreciated.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, apparently my question is just so stupid it doesn't warrant an answer or this place isn't as active as it once was...

Banshee

I'm going to take a look at that one tomorrow. Seems like a clean quad, I hope I'm not getting screwed. Already ordered some klotz for a transmission oil change.

Wish me luck!

Old 10-22-2017, 03:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I guess it depends on the type of trail, but I would have thought a Banshee was the most unsuitable bike for trail riding available. Dune hopping yes, tight trails with obstructions, no.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

First off hold your britches on, this is a busy time of year for many folks so we don't cruise the forums as much as normal. Which bike is a personal opinion for most just depends on your preference. As with anything it depends on how well the previous owner took care of things!! I will tell you that the Banshee will be a lot more maintenance than any four stroke machine. For the dunes and other wide open spaces the banshee is king, but for trail riding they suck, especially on tight trails. Constant shifting to keep them in their power range is needed or they will bog and foul plugs. A 4 stroke is designed for low end power and has more grunt so less shifting is needed. As a 2 stroke machine the cylinders need refreshed every couple years of riding so that adds to the expense. They also use a lot more fuel than a 4 stroke so you cant run to far on a tank of fuel and they are difficult to carry an extra tank on. In my opinion your best bang for the buck is a good 4 stroke machine and leave the 2 stroke machines for the serious dune riders.......

Old 10-22-2017, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I got it. I guess I wasn't clear about "trail riding". More probably dirt roads, and the trails I've seen here in az, everything is pretty wide open. We don't have much in the way of trees here. I think this'll be fun, at least for a while.

The quad looks to be in good shape, I didn't see any evidence of it being abused. However, the previous owner had to be every bit of 280-300lbs, so I'm wondering if those shocks are in fact toast or not. Will see what happens.

It has FMF exhaust, Tooney intakes, K&N filter inside the normal airbox, and a larger sprocket. Also, there's one mod I'm not real sure what the hell it is. It's a little canister that's sitting up on top of the engine, says white brothers on it. I'm thinking it's a boost bottle...guy said it "gives higher compression" to which I was thinking "uh huh....suuuure..". Even knowing very little about 2 strokes getting higher compression from a bottle sitting there seems like a load of crap to me.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know this machine, I putted around a little bit on it in the parking lot, seemed to be very sensitive throttle wise. Like a switch, either on or off, though it was only first gear...

Guy at least seemed like he cared about the quad, even though I highly doubt he knew much about it, just due to the fact that he was so big there's no way he's been turning wrenches on it himself.

So...fun times. Can't wait to give this a try tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails buying a banshee...-imag0233.jpg   buying a banshee...-imag0231.jpg  
Old 10-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get rid of that boost bottle. They are to heavy for the rubber intake boots and will cause rips in them. The power band is all in the porting. I have a stock one and a 4 mil. with dune porting. The 4 mil. is almost like riding a 4 stroke. The power band is much wider.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Dazeys
Get rid of that boost bottle. They are to heavy for the rubber intake boots and will cause rips in them. The power band is all in the porting. I have a stock one and a 4 mil. with dune porting. The 4 mil. is almost like riding a 4 stroke. The power band is much wider.
Will do. Am I going to need some parts to cover where the bottle was?

Old 10-24-2017, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, there is an aluminum tube that goes in there. You can find them on eBay.
Also check BansheeHQ.com They know all there is to know about Banshee's.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Dazeys
Yes, there is an aluminum tube that goes in there. You can find them on eBay.
Also check BansheeHQ.com They know all there is to know about Banshee's.
Thanks!

One thing I noticed today, not sure if serious or not is that...

The grab bar is crooked. One side is slightly higher than the other. Would this mean it has a bent frame? I feel sooo dumb for not seeing this before...

Old 10-26-2017, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

Most likely the grab bar is bent. Someone going to far with there wheely.