Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

VIN Number year code

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 07:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIN Number year code

I was wondering when looking up data on any given model year, they are usually available to purchase in the middle part of the previous year, so an '06 is available mid/late '05.
Will the year digit be 6 or 5 in that case, reflecting the year manufactured or the actual year its meant to be sold in?

Thaks

Bex

Old 11-15-2017, 03:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

It would make sense to use the year of manufacture, as once it has left the factory, the makers have no control over when the bike will be sold to the first customer. The stamping next year's date on the makers plate trick, is so the dealer doesn't have last years date on the bikes he has in the showroom. I guess it depends on if the VIN code rules allow this trick to be used in the VIN code too.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought year of manufacture too, but with the year being something like July to the following June maybe. I just bought a 06 according to the VIN. The bill of sale is 05 (although the ad for the machine said 02) so I guess it could have been bought in 05 as an 06 model. Regardless, its not got enough time/mileage on it to be overly concerned, but I was just interested if there was a definitive answer. I will be the first registered owner in all this time, if I actually bother to register it. Not likely to take it off the property.
Thanks for the reply