Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2007 Wolverine 450 4x4 rear swing arm / rear main seal issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Wolverine 450 4x4 rear swing arm / rear main seal issue.

Hello, folks.

I have a Wolvy 450, that I've had since new. I haven't ridden it much in the past 18 months, and brought it inside the garage to start getting it ready to ride this spring. I started to notice some (engine?) oil drips on the garage floor. After lifting it up on the ATV jack, I noticed the spring-loaded rear swing-arm boot had popped off of the lower half of swing-arm. Slid back on just fine, it's not torn, just slid off (from excess/any fluid being present?). The boot had a fair amount of oil covering the bottom half of the boot. Is it safe to assume the ANY oil indicates that the rear main seal on the engine has failed? Or is it possible that the fluid originated from the rear diff, and has work it's way forward? Or is a bit of fluid normal there? I'd think that the boot would require a real clamp, and not just a spring, if it was intended to house fluid. But hey, I could be wrong.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards...

Old 03-12-2018, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Update...

So I (A) checked the rear diff fluid level, and it is low... however, it's red in color. I also (B) pulled the rear swing-arm off, and the fluid that was pooled in the boot waffles was bluish. Pretty sure that's engine oil, no? Meaning I have to replace the rear main, right?

Eff me. I really don't want to do that.

regards...

Old 03-13-2018, 02:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Update II

So I went back out to the garage after everyone went to sleep to put fresh eyes on it. I was able to see a small pool of fresh engine oil on the aluminum lip of the output flange. Upon further inspection, I was able to notice that on the seal, at 9'oclock, a small piece of the inner edge was missing, allowing some fluid to leak out, on occasion. I'd also assume it could allow water/moisture to leak in as well. So I've ordered a new seal, and boot+clamps for good measure.

Anyone have any good tricks for removing the U-joint from the yoke? C-clamp & sockets?

Regards...

Old 03-13-2018, 04:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Wolverene may be totally different to other Yams but on Big Bears etc you don't split the UJ, you pull the whole swinging arm assembly off. Seal replacement is also a complete nightmare, as it has to come out from inside the transfer box, requiring transfer box removal and dis-assembly. Wolverenes may be different. First job, get a worrkshop manual.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Wolverene may be totally different to other Yams but on Big Bears etc you don't split the UJ, you pull the whole swinging arm assembly off. Seal replacement is also a complete nightmare, as it has to come out from inside the transfer box, requiring transfer box removal and dis-assembly. Wolverenes may be different. First job, get a worrkshop manual.
Hello. Thanks for the reply. I pulled the swing arm off, that was a piece of cake. My shop manual shows a diagram indicating that I need to remove the spider nut from the output shaft, then the 2nd half of the UJ will slide off the shaft, allowing the seal to be replaced. I just need to split the UJ first. I understand I'll need to brace the front 4x4 output shaft UJ, when breaking the rear spider nut free, as well as during reassembly. Fingers crossed.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Update III

So I got the UJ out, at least the half that prevented me from being able to get a 22mm socket onto the spider nut. The yoke slid right off in my hand once the nut was off, like butter. The issue now, it that the seal won't budge. I'm using a pick set, trying to get in behind it, but it just won't budge. Anyone else ever experience this?

Regards...

Old 06-16-2022, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey how did you make out with the rear main seal change? I’m pretty sure I have the same problem

Old 06-16-2022, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Torryg
Hey how did you make out with the rear main seal change? I’m pretty sure I have the same problem

I was successful. It wasn’t easy, but it wasn’t that hard either. Mild frustration.

It’s been some time since I did it, I’m trying to recall a procedure.

I didn’t have/use any special tools. I do recall I had to brace the yoke that’s attached to the output shaft with some sockets and socket extensions. One in each side. I had to match the ID of the ujoint hole with the OD of the sockets. The extension were braced against the bikes frame, while I used a breaker bar on the output shaft nut.

The seal is fragile, and expect oil to pour out once the seal is out.

I used a large socket to install the new one, evenly.

Overall, it was just frustrating enough for my wife to ask if we should take her identical 07 W450 to a professional for hers to be replaced.

I ended up parlaying that frustration credit I had earned with my wife and used it on just trading both Wolverines in on an identical pair of 21 Kodiak 450 EFI EPS SE’s. Same motor, but EFI, EPS, IRS, +low range gearing, front diff lock, permanent sealed rear brakes (no squeak), OE installed Warn 2500, and no immediate pending maintenance. I can ride all day on 1-1.5g of gas, and feel zero fatigue.

Also, the trade in was more than I bought the Wolverines for when they were new, a decade ago.

Old 06-16-2022, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Awesome thanks! Do you recall if you had to pull the rear end or is their enough room to get it out without?

Old 06-16-2022, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

The swing arm absolutely has to be pulled.

I supported the bike on blocks up front, and a pair of 10K trucker straps up to my garage rafters for the rear.

This also afforded me the opportunity to use a very long arbor with a wire-wheel attached to clean an absurd amount of surface rust on the inside of the swing arm tube. Which is poorly sealed from water intrusion. (Which once you see it and realize, means that a failed rear seal will allow water into your engine.). After I wire wheeled the tube, I fogged the inside with some spray paint, to slow future corrosion. You might as well drain both diffs, and check the seal on (at least) the rear diff while the swing arm is off the bike, and then refill the diffs with new gear oil.

Come to think of it, I might have used the swing arm mounting holes on the frame to run the yoke-bracing socket extensions into.