2007 Wolverine 450 4x4 rear swing arm / rear main seal issue. - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Go Back  ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community > Brand Discussions Area > Yamaha
Reload this Page >

2007 Wolverine 450 4x4 rear swing arm / rear main seal issue.

Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2007 Wolverine 450 4x4 rear swing arm / rear main seal issue.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2007 Wolverine 450 4x4 rear swing arm / rear main seal issue.

Hello, folks.

I have a Wolvy 450, that I've had since new. I haven't ridden it much in the past 18 months, and brought it inside the garage to start getting it ready to ride this spring. I started to notice some (engine?) oil drips on the garage floor. After lifting it up on the ATV jack, I noticed the spring-loaded rear swing-arm boot had popped off of the lower half of swing-arm. Slid back on just fine, it's not torn, just slid off (from excess/any fluid being present?). The boot had a fair amount of oil covering the bottom half of the boot. Is it safe to assume the ANY oil indicates that the rear main seal on the engine has failed? Or is it possible that the fluid originated from the rear diff, and has work it's way forward? Or is a bit of fluid normal there? I'd think that the boot would require a real clamp, and not just a spring, if it was intended to house fluid. But hey, I could be wrong.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards...

Old 03-12-2018, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Update...

So I (A) checked the rear diff fluid level, and it is low... however, it's red in color. I also (B) pulled the rear swing-arm off, and the fluid that was pooled in the boot waffles was bluish. Pretty sure that's engine oil, no? Meaning I have to replace the rear main, right?

Eff me. I really don't want to do that.

regards...

Old 03-13-2018, 02:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Update II

So I went back out to the garage after everyone went to sleep to put fresh eyes on it. I was able to see a small pool of fresh engine oil on the aluminum lip of the output flange. Upon further inspection, I was able to notice that on the seal, at 9'oclock, a small piece of the inner edge was missing, allowing some fluid to leak out, on occasion. I'd also assume it could allow water/moisture to leak in as well. So I've ordered a new seal, and boot+clamps for good measure.

Anyone have any good tricks for removing the U-joint from the yoke? C-clamp & sockets?

Regards...

Old 03-13-2018, 04:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wolverene may be totally different to other Yams but on Big Bears etc you don't split the UJ, you pull the whole swinging arm assembly off. Seal replacement is also a complete nightmare, as it has to come out from inside the transfer box, requiring transfer box removal and dis-assembly. Wolverenes may be different. First job, get a worrkshop manual.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman View Post
Wolverene may be totally different to other Yams but on Big Bears etc you don't split the UJ, you pull the whole swinging arm assembly off. Seal replacement is also a complete nightmare, as it has to come out from inside the transfer box, requiring transfer box removal and dis-assembly. Wolverenes may be different. First job, get a worrkshop manual.
Hello. Thanks for the reply. I pulled the swing arm off, that was a piece of cake. My shop manual shows a diagram indicating that I need to remove the spider nut from the output shaft, then the 2nd half of the UJ will slide off the shaft, allowing the seal to be replaced. I just need to split the UJ first. I understand I'll need to brace the front 4x4 output shaft UJ, when breaking the rear spider nut free, as well as during reassembly. Fingers crossed.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Update III

So I got the UJ out, at least the half that prevented me from being able to get a 22mm socket onto the spider nut. The yoke slid right off in my hand once the nut was off, like butter. The issue now, it that the seal won't budge. I'm using a pick set, trying to get in behind it, but it just won't budge. Anyone else ever experience this?

Regards...