Clutch adjustment issues - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Default Clutch adjustment issues

Over the last month I have been working in my 2001 Wolverine 350 4x4. I just finished it yesterday, new clutch with upgraded springs, new friction plates, new centrifugal, along with stiffer springs for both. And other maintenance things. I started it yesterday and it sounds great but wont go into gear. You can feel it try and kick into gear but it wont go anywhere and also my reverse lockout **** doesn't work anymore so it goes into reverse without it. (The light comes on on it's own at least). I have tried adjusting the clutch with the **** on the left side of the motor but the lock nut is seized to the bolt that you turn with a flat head screw driver. Anyone had this issue and have a solution? Could I break the nut loose with an impact or would that damage something. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would take the cover off again, you have got something wrong with the reverse mechanism anyway. Once off it should be easier to free the locknut, as you can hold something behind the cover. Hitting an impact driver against a thin ally cover is asking for a broken casting.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

To add to MM, make sure the clutch is actually working before you put the cover back on...MM may know, but often there is a gasket for the clutch cover and folks will not shell out the $$$ for a new one and just use RTV or some other liquid gasket...problem is that some setups need that gasket spacing or binding occurs...just ask any Gen1 Vmax owner...