Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

86 mot4 200 or yfm200

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 mot4 200 or yfm200

So here's my problem I made probably the dumbest mistake of my life yesterday well I guess I'll take you back to the beginning I bought this quad for $200 the other day needed rings bought a piston and rings put them on while putting them on I noticed a few things that needed addressing timing chain was stretched beyond belief added had no head gasket so I bought a gasket set and a timing chain I put the timing chain on the other day and all new gaskets new carburetor I was feeling pretty good about myself but then it happened that fateful day yesterday I went to go start it up it started up just fine ran wonderfully for a whole 10 seconds and that's when it happened I heard a metal noise and the motor shut off I got scared LOL so I took the cover off to look at the cam gear when I did that I see that It had spun around 180 degrees from some idiot putting it back together and not tightening down the bolt holding the gear on so here's what I know at the moment I'm working with little to no compression I can pull it fairly easily I don't need to put a compression tester on there to see that the valves appear to be moving up and down freely whether there seating the whole way is another story I have you have to take it apart to find out they want $130 for a valve kit including the Rockers because the Rockers that are on there apparently went up so high that they hit the caps on the case and the ends of the Rockers broke off I ordered a used head off of eBay in allegedly working condition for 70 bucks yesterday I'm just going to go ahead and replace that but is there anything else that I should be looking for before putting this back together they could have gotten damaged like I said I have a new head on the way I have an extra piston somewhere and I have another jug somewhere if it comes down to that

Old 06-05-2018, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the pin that the time gear notch sits in stay in tact? if not did you find it?

Might as well lap the valves and put valve seals in it too. and don't feel bad about not tightening that bolt. I learned the hard way once too on a warrior ha ha