Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster full engine rebuild. Parts list and opinions needed!

Old 10-31-2018, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster full engine rebuild. Parts list and opinions needed!

Hello all. Was riding around the house and my blasters piston skirt broke and seized the crank with metal material. I am planning to do a hot rods bottom end kit and a vitos 240cc big bore kit with cast piston. I was hoping for some opinions on the parts i have listed as I have herd that wiseco cranks tend to fail, this being why I am considering the hot rods kit

Old 11-01-2018, 06:43 AM
Pro Rider

Google Mr crankshaft for your crank He does great work rebuilding them. If you call him and let him know its coming he will have it back to you in a week. As for the piston I would look up kenOconor racing on youtube and watch his videos on a rebuild He talks threw the parts good on what to use.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I've found Ken on YouTube and doing all I can to retain every bit of info he shares. I'll look up that guy to get the crank done. It's blued around the connecting rod so now I'm unsure why exactly the engine failed. The piston from what I remember was broken. I had always mixed my fuel correctly but was having issues of a lean condition. When I would rev it, it would hesitate to come down to an idle. I first thought that was a carb issue but after the jetting didn't change much I am leaning towards a bad piston, bad gasket, or a cracked case maybe? . I fattened up the main with I want to say a 265. It didn't help much. That was a couple year back before the engine blew. I've added a reed cage and reed from vitos and a new set of clutches to my list as the build begins. Today we stripped the quad to a rolling frame and gave it a good wash. Took the top end of the engine apart and found the crank blued. I freed it from pieces of the piston. The weird thing was when it blew I was riding slow through the yard at light throttle.

either way I'm about to do a lil more research from ken and make a call this weekend on parts.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you were sucking air from somewhere. May check the boot that ties carb to reed cage or crank seals. Well seals will be changed with crank replacement and all new gaskets with rebuild but check that carb boot for cracks.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I will be sure to. I was thinking even with a full rebuild I'd do a smoke test or something to try and find any area sucking air.

I was also considering a billet reed cage and set of reeds from vitos.