Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2002 Big Bear 400 electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Big Bear 400 electrical problem

Picked up a 2002 Yamaha big bear 400 2wd. Was charging the battery and tried to turn it over. The neutral light would come on, after 5-6 attempts the lights went out. Does not respond to turning the key. It looked like the starter relay had been recently replaced with a cheap Chinese replacement. Changed this with a new unit and still have no response. Fuses are not blown. I've read that the neutral switch could cause this problem but I'm leaning towards CDI box/ignition module. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 344 Likes on 335 Posts

Do headlamps work with ignition on? If not your battery is flat or dead, or one of the thick leads to battery has a bad connection, probably earth to engine or frame. If you fitted a new solenoid, it must have the thick lead binding posts the right way round M to starter, and B to battery. Sparking has very little to do with the battery on old Yamahas so not a CDI problem.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Do headlamps work with ignition on? If not your battery is flat or dead, or one of the thick leads to battery has a bad connection, probably earth to engine or frame. If you fitted a new solenoid, it must have the thick lead binding posts the right way round M to starter, and B to battery. Sparking has very little to do with the battery on old Yamahas so not a CDI problem.
I was more or less looking for a starting point. I was leaning towards bad connections, the bike was sitting for a while(outside) when I picked it up. So I've been leaning towards bad connection. Hoping no major electrical problem other than corroded electrical connectors. Going to remove the rear plastics today and clean and grease all the connectors.

Nothing works at all, it's not a spark issue, more or less a dead to the world issue. Battery is at 13.2v.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman

Thanks for the input. Bad Ground, Frame to battery all is well with the quad now other than a few cosmetic issues to work on.