Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is the Raptor really junk when you get down to it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be interesting to see how many people who blew the carbs off, had a modified carb or air filter.

Mine and my friends Raptors were bulletproof. (except for a little water leakage into the lights). He put the GYT-R exhaust on it and after riding it hard for an hour, he shut it down. Another person got on it, and hit the starter button, but didn't hold it long enough. Bang, carb boots blew off.

I had told him about the condition posted on this board so he knew exactly what to look for.

But mine hasn't had a single problem.

I think the carb boots may have something to do with the jetting, and is expecially sensitive to a modified exhaust/airfilter.

If you decide to modify those parts, you should probably keep the allen key nearby in your toolkit until you are confident you have the jetting perfect.

RM

Old 05-02-2001, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have had my raptor since jan,no carb problems,they need to be rejetted anyway if you put a pipe on it,make sure the valves are not to tight,i checked mine after two months of hard riding every weekend and they were tighter than spec.I have pounded the **** out of it so far the only problem was A bent axle but that was my fault,was jumping landed sideways.

Old 05-02-2001, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

THE RAPTOR ROCKS!! Had mine since the fall and it has not had one single problem. I am 6'2" and 240 lbs. I ride like a frickin lunatic and the thing smiles at me and says "gimme some more ya wuss!" Every car, bike etc has it's lemons. Guy was snoozing when he installed something or another but mine has been perfect. Lots of quads out there are great. I wish I could afford a banshee and a DS with my Raptor and get a 400 for my wife.

Old 05-03-2001, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

i dont ned someone to tell me what to buy,the day yamaha released the info on the raptor on their website i called the dealer and told him i wanted the first one,if bomb released info on a new 400 two stroke twin like rumored,and the specs loked good id probably call the dealer and order it also!the way i figure it is if i cant break it in the first six months its pretty good,and if i gotta sit around worrying if something might break i should just buy a big old clunker quad and ride like im 80 because most of the time all the quads,biks,snomobiles,ect. ive owned,if something breaks its because i did or didnt do something right.everythig has its problems,great thing about forums like this is you can tell each other what they are and take care of it before it happens to your quad,but alot of people just use it to talk crap