Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is the Raptor really junk when you get down to it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 08:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I've heard alot of bad stuff about the Raptor including gearing, carbs, and now cheaply made axles. Are there any other problems the Raptors has, and are these common problems or what? Because I ride in the woods and the quads have to take a little beating every now and then, and if the Raptor can't take any more than a stroll or two in the sand, I'm getting a 400EX.

Old 05-01-2001, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

You don't want to hear what my answer to your question is.
All I can say is that I have "ALOT" of money wrapped up in this thing already.

Old 05-01-2001, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

How many different people on this board do you hear say bad things about their Raptor? I'll estimate very high and say 50. That's 50 people out of the how many thousands that own these bikes? Does the Raptor have some growing pains being a new bike? Yes. Is it "junk?" No. I had a leaky rear shock and it was fixed under warranty and haven't had any problems since. No carb blow-offs, no bent axle, no blown tranny. I think the most of it comes down to maintanence. If you take care of things 90% of the time you'll be OK. There are always exceptions to the rule, however.

Old 05-01-2001, 10:58 PM
Range Rover

I have had mine since Dec. and have had 0 problems whatsoever.

Old 05-01-2001, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Well I dont a Raptor but I do have a 2000 Kodiak. While at the dealer the other day I saw two Raptors sitting waiting to be worked on. Everytime I visit I always see at least one. I asked the mechanic, "hey whats up with all the Raptors?" His reply, They are JUNK!! Those were his exact words.

Old 05-01-2001, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

I Purchased my raptor on September 16th 2000. I have had a couple minor probs but the were all stuff i did to it myself and had nothing to do with the quads reliability. They were bent axle and Busted a chain link in half. Bent the axle by hitting a tree with the rear tire in 4th gear. was a rough ride but nothing hurt but the axle. I realy run the heck out of mine on the race track. Is probably the most reliable quad i have owned. I work at a factory making controls and other interior parts for chrysler,ford and GM and i am the QR Tech (quality recourse technician). I know that no matter how hard a factory trys mistakes will happen during production. Nothing is perfect. its the chance you take by buying somthing new. Just my 2 cents

matt

Old 05-01-2001, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

I have 3 Raptors, two since last November and the latest since Feb. I have had not one problem with any of them to date. I ride a couple times a week on trails and roads. They have been to the dunes 4 times and we do not baby them. We try to hit the dunes about every 6 weeks. Lots of drags, hill climbs and drag climbs with bottom of the hill starts against 250r's and banshees (even won a few... LOL). Lots of jumping and all around pounding. Again not one problem to this day. A few other bikes of friends have bit the dust trying to keep up, (400ex..not stock and 2 polaris bikes also not stock). I too was worried about the amount of post stating so many problems before getting my first one but now I have no worries. I thought we road hard but I guess with the problems I have been reading about we must be babying them..NOT! I have 5 friends with Raptors also and they have had no problems either. So here are 8 Raptors and not one bent axle, a-arm, blown off carb,or any other problem that I have read about many times. I don't doubt or question the problem post because the problems appear to be real. I can only speak about the 8 Raptors I am aware of seeming to be sound and a blast to have and ride. BTW 3 of the Raptors have after market silencers and one of them is also jetted with after market air filter. The rest are stock with the exception of some sprocket changes.

Old 05-01-2001, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

I had mine since October and runs sweet not one of these problems have i come across *knock wood* I think that some of the people who "claim" to have Raptors are in here and post sh*t and start false crap just "because" for ebery claim i want to see proof that sall i can say. so far the best example was the guy with the broken air filter. he had a pic to back it up!

Old 05-02-2001, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

why ask why?if your worried about the raptor dont buy one!why is it everyone thats thinking about buying a raptor,but is scarred about something breaking is making a post to see if the yamaha guys can convice him NOT to buy a 400ex?I SAY BUY THE 400EX PLEASE BUY THE HONDA!i wish everyone owned a 400ex except for me,that way id have the fastest quad in the world!as far as breaking parts,i have been really hard on mine,riding mostly woods,ive had it since oct. and the only thing i bent was a durablue axel i put in it about a month ago,bent it first time out on the same jump the stocker held up on every ride before puting the durablue in.now i have a lonestar.

Old 05-02-2001, 04:15 AM
Range Rover

I can only speak for myself, when I say that my Raptor has done everything and anything without any hesitations. I usually ride on 60 acres of wooded area and this baby shines!!! What I like about my Raptor and the DS650 is that so far these are the only four-strokes that can take a Banshee, which has had the title for speed & power since the ending of Quadzilla!!!!

j/t
01 Raptor Blk/White (stock)
If it isn't broke don't fix it!!!!!

Quick Reply: Is the Raptor really junk when you get down to it?