Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

6 calling all 2 stroke gurus! i killed my blaster, help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 01:18 PM
DBK
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the systems....Was rideing along (6th gear) and it quit, sounded like out of gas, but it wasn't. Kind of a blah blubbery noise. It wouldn't kick start so i popped it. started up just got going again back into 6th and it died again.....I cleaned the carb, put in a new plug, checked for spark, reeds are fine. I don't have a compression tester but it seems normal....it won't even try to fire. I put a cap full of premix down the jug. Even if the carb is dead it should have tried to fire on that (i would think). But it just made an air type "foof" kinda noise out the pipe. Floats, jets and all carb stuff is fine. Electrical, coil, Tors, is all good. After kicking it over forever the plug gets alittle wet. But it never tries to fire. It was very hot when it died also!
I've heard maybe a ring broke loose or possiably a hole in the piston.....it's going to the shop if i can't get any clue on it. But i'd much rather do it myself....and if it is dead what type of aftermarket parts should i put in. I was thinking Vitos power piston and gasket. What's the best performance and price wise? Anyone know what a rebuild might cost?
I think my jetting was off for the 32:1 premix...I had it done when i bought it the main jet is a 260. I didn't look at what notch the needle is on. It was injected though before switching to 32:1..Maybe that's cause for the heat and shut down?....But it should at least start (ya think?)....Anyway i'm new to the 2 stroke game so don't pick on me to bad for killing my new toy. Live and learn (always the expensive way unfortunatly)...thanks for any help!