Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Calling all 2 stroke gurus! i killed my blaster, help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 01:19 PM
DBK
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the systems....Was rideing along (6th gear) and it quit, sounded like out of gas, but it wasn't. Kind of a blah blubbery noise. It wouldn't kick start so i popped it. started up just got going again back into 6th and it died again.....I cleaned the carb, put in a new plug, checked for spark, reeds are fine. I don't have a compression tester but it seems normal....it won't even try to fire. I put a cap full of premix down the jug. Even if the carb is dead it should have tried to fire on that (i would think). But it just made an air type "foof" kinda noise out the pipe. Floats, jets and all carb stuff is fine. Electrical, coil, Tors, is all good. After kicking it over forever the plug gets alittle wet. But it never tries to fire. It was very hot when it died also!
I've heard maybe a ring broke loose or possiably a hole in the piston.....it's going to the shop if i can't get any clue on it. But i'd much rather do it myself....and if it is dead what type of aftermarket parts should i put in. I was thinking Vitos power piston and gasket. What's the best performance and price wise? Anyone know what a rebuild might cost?
I think my jetting was off for the 32:1 premix...I had it done when i bought it the main jet is a 260. I didn't look at what notch the needle is on. It was injected though before switching to 32:1..Maybe that's cause for the heat and shut down?....But it should at least start (ya think?)....Anyway i'm new to the 2 stroke game so don't pick on me to bad for killing my new toy. Live and learn (always the expensive way unfortunatly)...thanks for any help!

Old 05-03-2001, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Pull the gas hose from the carb and open the petcock, are you getting fuel flow there??

Next...head to Sears, buy a Craftsman compression gauge for around $30.00 and you need to check your compression. If it's under 110 psi, you need to pull it apart and rebuild.

Determining your course of action will be dependent on several factors. Expectations of power gains relative to money spent. Maintenance schedules, riding type and area just to name a few. Detail out what you need, what you expect, and how much money you wish to spend, that would help me help you.

Old 05-03-2001, 01:25 PM
DBK
Weekend Warrior

i'm sorry for the double post, Got a junk web tv going on here!

Old 05-03-2001, 01:36 PM
DBK
Weekend Warrior

Yeah i'm getting gas where i'm supposed to. Nothing seems to be plugged. I know one speck of dirt in the right spot can ruin it all. But it looks extremly clean.
As far as riding. i mostly do it all. Roads, dunes, trials. I'm not looking to go radical. Just maybe something alittle more than stock. I have an fmf pipe, i'm going to re-jet (have to i think) and i have a uni clamp on style filter....Getting new reeds and spacers eventually, if this ever straightens out? Pretty much no way of telling without a compression test huh?...I think i've done everything else?.....thanks

Old 05-03-2001, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

So you installed a new pipe, and did not verify/adjust the jetting at all...Hmm, could be bad.

Yes, you really should get a compression tester, it's handy to have around regardless. The compression tester will enable you to check your compression at various intervals which gives an indication of the overall "health" of the top-end.

An increase in compression, a new reed cage, and a properly tuned system may provide the increase you are looking for.

The Vito's piston is pretty crafty. Vito took what many engine builders have been doing for years. Rather than cut the cylinder ports to a different dimension/duration, you can cut the piston crown edge to achieve the same affect of altering the port duration. Vito took this and marketed it. I've heard some reports of the pistons having accelerated wear, however my experience with the older Power pistons in a Banshee have been good. The Vito's Super Stock piston may be a good canidate for you.

Old 05-03-2001, 02:29 PM
DBK
Weekend Warrior

well i couldn't get the compession test to read over 50lbs....so I guess the fun starts here!.....I'm looking for something better than stock but at minimal cost. Weisco, vitos does anyone have any input on what is worth the $$$..I now all lobor rates vary from shop to shop. but does anyone have a rough estimate what this might cost me?

Old 05-03-2001, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, tear it down, you likely melted the edge of the piston on the exh side.

Do-it-yourself-kit:

Wiseco piston kit: $65+
Gaskets: $25
Machine work: $40
Super Stock Piston Kit, includes piston and gaskets: $139.00

Old 05-03-2001, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

Get the Vitos super stock pistons thay make a big differnce well thats what I would get if I was you

Old 05-03-2001, 05:07 PM
DBK
Weekend Warrior

Backcountry gets one thousand points!...i got brave and took the head off, and i couldn't have described it clearer. Pitch Black and melted on the exhaust side. Is that because of the jetting and 32:1 thing i was talking about earlier? Any recomandations on what jet sizes to go with? Or should i leave the carb as is and change my ratio?
...I think i'm gonna go with the vitos 20 over. Get the timeing key and the high comp gasket.
Thanks for those prices and all the info!!

Old 05-04-2001, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

So you switched from oil injection to premix, and then installed a aftermarket pipe and did not adjust the jetting??? No to sound to fatherly here, but did you learn your lesson??? Please make it a habit to check your jetting anytime that you change anything--pipes, oil mix ratios, filters, temperature swings, etc.

When you order your piston, I assume from Vito himself, take a moment and discuss your jetting with him. I've spoke with Vito several times on the phone about different parts on occasion and have been pleased with the help that he has provided and the time he took to ensure all my questions had been answered. I'm not as familiar with the Blaster as I am with Shee's and R's so I can't say, oh you've got this, this and this, you need this jetting. Good luck!!!

Quick Reply: Calling all 2 stroke gurus! i killed my blaster, help!