Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Pro-Flow or Sparks Filter Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2001 | 02:09 AM
|
Trailblazer

I've decided to go with a foam filter for my Raptor and maybe replace the air box. Pro-Flow seems highly regarded but I read that some people were having trouble getting the oval filter to seal properly. Is this still a problem? Does Pro-Flow have a website or is there a website with Pro-Flow info? How does it install? Can you use a filter skin on it?

Does anyone have any experience with the Sparks Racing SuperCharger air filter kit? How does it compare with the Pro-Flow?

Thanks,

Old 05-05-2001 | 09:29 AM
Range Rover

I just installed my Pro flo Yesterday and I dont understand the problem. The filter is oval but it has 2 round inlets so theres no problem sealing.

Mac

Old 05-05-2001 | 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Chris, who did you buy your pro flo from? I'm thinking about one too.

Old 05-05-2001 | 12:02 PM
|
Trailblazer

As I understand it, the clamp was not causing the filter to seal against the almost flat sections of the oval flange. On a circular flange a hose type clamp can apply equal force to seal around the entire surface, but with an oval the force tends to concentrate on the ends. If there is not enough curve to the long sections it is possible for the filter to not seal well.

Old 05-05-2001 | 12:21 PM
Range Rover

Like I said in my first post, There is *NO* oval just 2 round inlets / outlets whatever you;d like to call them. So your clamping on a perfectly round seurface with no flat spots. Last time I checked rocky mountain had them for 89.99 in stock.

Mac

Old 05-05-2001 | 01:22 PM
|
Trailblazer

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry if I'm sounding dense, but are we talking about the same thing? I am not referring to the part of the air box that attaches to the carb boots. I'm talking about how the air filter clamps to its flange, inside the air box. The pictures that I have seen of the Pro-Flow air filter kit show an aluminum piece that you mount on the inside of the air box. The air filter then attaches to it using a clamp. From what others have posted I got the impression that this piece was oval. Is that incorrect?

Old 05-05-2001 | 02:30 PM
Range Rover

The adapter is made out of aluminum and fits where the stock plastic part of the stock filter goes. Then there is 2, 2 inch round outlets that the oval filter clamps to. The filter is oval but it has 2 round outlets. Do you understand now??

Mac

Old 05-05-2001 | 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

While the Banshee proflow is oval, the Raptor ProFlow has 2 round inlets as described above. The filter looks kinda like a mushroom with two stems. One filter with two openings that mate to the proflow.

I have the ProFlow and it works great. No Seal problems at all. Appears to be much more reliable than stock.

Only question I have is to availability of the filter itself. Is there an outerwear that fits it? I doubt K&N will have a filter to slip over the dual inlets.

Old 05-06-2001 | 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

To help with some of the questions you have been getting, Pro Design changed the design of the flange. It was oval at first, now they have made it with two round flanges. It should seal up much better. As for an outerwear, a Banshee Outerwear for a stock setup will fit over the Pro Design filter on the Raptor!!

Old 05-08-2001 | 05:28 PM
Range Rover

I had one of the first filter setups that had the problems. It has been re-designed twice. The first time they changed the oval shape and the second time they made it into two round clamps. Either one works fine now.

Quick Reply: Pro-Flow or Sparks Filter Kit