Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

my first real tumble!! -> update!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first crash!!

I was at a nearby sand pit testing my "new" paddle tires (that I got for Silver Lake). The shee was cold and I think I overoiled the air filter, making it pretty lazy (no powerband hit). I was still fooling around. Then I decided I would do the usual little jump...even cold, I'd have enough power to take off a little. Well, I got there, 4th gear, and blipped the throttle right before taking off...and here come trouble...the engine was now hot enough to have some power...and the paddle tire gave me perfect grip. The front end was waaay high, I didn't have the time to hit the rear brakes...and when I landed, I smacked the handlebar and turned slightly throwing me off the quad. I tumbled 2-3 times, I think the quad landed on me, between his 2 flips in the air...when I got up, my shoulder was real painful...guess what? dislocated! Xplor had stopped by, got the truck closer and brought me back home...and from there, mom said -> emergency room. There, they "drugged" me, and I slept for 4 hours. When I woke up, the doc said "your shoulder's in place, but no activity for 3 weeks" aaaaaaah I can't ride for 3 weeks! No more pain now...but I'm still wondering what the hell I'll do for 3 weeks with one available arm!

Anyways...good news I'm not severely hurt and the shee is almost OK (just a destroyed handlebar...)
bad news...no Silver Lake trip...and still wondering what I'll do for 3 weeks.

PS...this ain't gonna stop me! RIDE ON!

Update -> I thought the shee was OK...but the part of the frame that holds the top of the steering stem is broken! No jke! That big "U"...the wlds are broken, and ity's bot as vertical as it used to be...the handlebar is resting on the gas tank!

Man...I'm gonna have to repair and reinforce that. (Any advice appreciated...except "get a Laeger frame")

I also think I'll post pics of the wrecked quad as soon as the broken stuff are visible enough.

Old 05-06-2001, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

i had a very similar crash, only the opposite way.

4th gear, go off, didnt hit the gas hard enough on take off, catch big air, nose dive severely, bumper eats the ground, i go flying forward, do about 4 or 5 forward rolles where my feet actually hit the back of my helmet. all in all, me -busted lip, scratched bad, quad - bent grab bar (bent it back with a pipe, it was a prm) bent handle bars (they were already in need of replacing) bent bumper (left alone and you dont notice it unless i pointed it out.

and guese what, i have the whole crash on VIDEO!

Old 05-06-2001, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

Since you are O.K. Zorro I can say it: That was one he** of a crash! It will stick in my memory for a while. You looked like a rag doll flipping through the air!

Glad your O.K. This gives me time to get used to the Craptor!

Old 05-07-2001, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

hey i have an idea for somethin to do. i just took out my old nintendo system and i've been playin that a lot lately. ahhh good ol 8 bits. i'm in the process of beating super mario brothers 3 without having to continue once and beating every single level not skipping one. so far i'm at world 7-8. wish me luck lol. if u got one dig it out and play all your old games. its a lot more fun than you think. play a little legend of zelda and you'll be happy for hours.

Old 05-07-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Or, if you don't have an old NES, get an emulator for it (NESticle is a good one), and get roms off of a site called "vimm's lair", a site that has every nintendo game ever released to the US. You'd be suprised how fast time flies...and, if you've never played the game Excitebike, you have to. It's kick ***. Emulators are a great way to turn your $3,500 PC into a $100 video game system. I have url's if you need them. These games are only like 10k each. The best part is all this stuff is free.

Old 05-07-2001, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

Don't worry...I got back out the Carmageddon series (the 3rd is in right now). I'm having a little hard time because I sometimes have different letters to type...but I crush some pedestrians the same (talk about a crazy game!!).
Otherwise, Pong is one stupid stuff you can spend hours on. If you have a Nokia cell phone, you can also play the snake game (where the snake gets longer and longer)...and you can play in the toilet too!!

Old 05-08-2001, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

well i beat mario today. i used no continues, and i beat every single level without the help of clouds, warp wistles, or game genies. and yeah excitebike kicks ***! teenage mutang ninja turtles is also really fun.

Old 05-08-2001, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

My friend busted his shoulder on sundy he was riding his lt230 he did a jump and he landed and he was doing a wheelie then the throttle stuck and rolled it but he was fine but he busted his right fender. Then he was on his Yamaha yz 250 dirtbike and was doing wheelies and he fliped it I think the bike landed on his shoulder and busted it and my other friend took him to the hospitl now the dirtbike and the fourwheeler is for sale.

Old 05-08-2001, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer

sorry to hear about that. I also have had very bad crashes. My latest put me out of comission since march 10. Don't use a utility atv on big jumps, or bad stuff can happen. I fractured my 5th vertebrae. Sucks now cause I can't go to school, ride the atv, or even do very much. I should be able to ride again in june... I hope anyways.