Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Yamaha "Predator" 660,6-speed, Reverse,IRS,4x4 due out by September

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey fourlix,
Does IRS stand for independant rear suspension?

Old 05-09-2001, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, EricsRaptor, you are correct sir. Independent Rear Suspension. I.R.S. The Spy photos in Dirtwheels and ATV ACTION clearly show the absence of a straight rear axle, pumpkin, chain or sprocket. So it has to be IRS with A-arms and half-shafts. We don't know if this arrangement is shaft or chain driven, it could easily be either. It would be unthinkable for them to put the air-cooled Grizz motor in, so we believe it is a derivation of the Raptor, so chain drive would be easier, but then driving the front would require a PTO/shaft arrangement, and a lower first gear will be needed, either a sixth gear or a high/low, which could be incorporated with the PTO. That's a messy, Sportsman-like arrangement. I'm sure it will be a slick arrangement, whatever it is. It could be a Raptor top end on a whole new crankcase/gearcase. Yamaha will build it light, and it will work great. The details will drive us crazy as they trickle out. The June dealer show will be the grand unveiling, and the Magazines should get a preview 'cause it takes them so long to get anything out. We'll know a whole lot more in the next couple of months.

Old 05-09-2001, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer

Gee...IRS, another Polaris invention.

Old 05-09-2001, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris? invention? Yeah right, like they invented the snowmobile too eh? I think the only thing they've invented is their convoluted 4x4 system that doesn't work downhill, and sometimes doesn't work at all.

Old 05-09-2001, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Seriously, I think the first driven independent suspension was in the 1930's on Jaguars and Dusenbergs. Jaguar also had inboard dual disc brakes to lower unsprung weight and improve cooling. Very cool. By the 1950's it was on many grand prix racers. The Corvette had it by..1960.?
All the reasons why it works so well are magnified by off-road use. Unsprung weight. Reciprocating mass. Physics. It works. Grand Prix
racers actually Saved weight going to I.R.S.
The Hummer has an awesome 4-wheel driven independent suspension.
The point is that it is about Friggin' time the ATV industry got to this point. They have so much technology that they have miserly doled out in a series of redundant sport quads and overweight utilities. Long live the Revolution Per Minute!!

Old 05-09-2001, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

So, who do you think invented THE AUTOMATIC 4-WHEELER?? Who Popularized the HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE?? Who pioneered PLASTIC RACKING?? Who pulled a stuck Grizz out of the mud last weekend? My POLARIS. No machine is perfect, but my 4-wheel drive works just fine and there's nothing convoluted about it.

Old 05-09-2001, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

...and don't even get me started on the superiority of Polaris Snowmobiles over Bombardiers. I've seen enough Bombardier's twist cranks and fry motors while my XCR 800 keeps motoring along. J.A. Bombardier invented the snowmobile, true, but Polaris must be doing SOMETHING right to become the #1 Snowmobile manufacturer for 11 straight seasons and claim the #2 ATV sales spot after such a short history. At least argue with some hard evidence in your corner...how do you like your DS?

Old 05-10-2001, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

Oh gees... Go back to the Polaris forum if you're so stuck on them.

Who popularized the Hydro disc? Not Polaris. Try Honda, their sport 3-wheelers had it for years - back into the early 80's, their sport quads have had it for years, they stick to the drum on ute's for lack of maintenance - Polaris brakes are good for catching on fire - at least our sport 400L was. Plastic racking? No thanks - cheap, easy to break. Belt drive auto, no thanks. One hand brakes, no thanks - not for what I do. Convoluted 4x4, yes - technically their system sounds good on paper, in practice it can get you in trouble in technical situations (not mud - mud sucks anyway, grew out of that years ago).

Algore, is that you? did Polaris also invent ATV's? The Otto cycle engine?

Take it easy man, life's too short to waste time coming in here out of the blue and interjecting Polaris into a discussion for the express purpose of starting an argument.

Old 05-10-2001, 02:52 AM
Pro Rider

I've had three Polaris 4x4's and ride with others and have seen the rear tires spin while the front tires just sat there, while trying to climb a tough slick rock headwall/creekbed. The Honda Foreman and Autocat both outperformed the Polaris, 3 wheel drive is better than 2. That's 3 Sportsman and an EXP. I've seen them all do it. You've got it in AWD but it disengages because the front wheels and the back wheels are going the same speed on the Hard Rock surface. You lose traction in the rear and it is too fast for the front wheels to engage. Bingo, your 4x4 is a 2x4. I don't ever see mud. The closest thing to mud we see is an occasional wet rock.
And it still doesn't work downhill. Yeah I know the one about backing up and holding the override button down, but, come on.
Hey Polaris are alright, they're fun and easy.
They handle well and have good suspension. I like them. They are faster (and heavier) than they look. I still have my H.O. But it's H.O.-HUM after the Bombardier!
This is what Rock n Roll is all about Baby! This is art, adrenalin, sex, style, passion! Take a walk on the wild side, you only live once etc. It's just different. It's like a race car compared to a piece of farm equipment.

Old 05-10-2001, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

You guys are wasting time arguing when you could be riding instead!

Quick Reply: New Yamaha "Predator" 660,6-speed, Reverse,IRS,4x4 due out by September