Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hit 82.0 MPH on My Banshee Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2001, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got around to measuring the top speed of my Banshee today for the first time since it was stock. According to my GPS it did 82.0 MPH. This was on a flat & level paved road with no wind. I put a lot of extra air in the tires to get a little more speed but the gearing is the stock 14/41. The funny thing is that I hit the same speed going down a hill which tells me that the Banshee could pull a higher gear than stock. Don't believe me? That's cool, but I did take a picture of the GPS display with the Max Speed after the ride. Check it out at my site under PHOTOS > MY BANSHEE PICS or go straight there at http://www.geocities.com/wyoduner/bansheepics.htm

Old 05-12-2001, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

where did oyu get that thing at where you could measure your speed and how much did it cost?

i wanna get one for my dirtbike,,also,do you have to connect them to anything? or they just mount right onto your handlbars?

like,could i have it on my bike,then take it off,and put it on my freidns bike without a problem?

Old 05-13-2001, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

njg86, It's called a GPS for Global Positioning System. They are extremely accurate for measuring speed and distance as well as telling you where you are. You can get them from about $100 to well over $300. The only difference between more or less expensive units are the features that you get such as built in maps, color, etc. All GPS are just as accurate these days. You can get a handlebar mount for most of them (I have a Garmin, BTW). Mine has a mount on the handlebar that the GPS snaps in and out of very quickly.

Try http://joe.mehaffey.com/ for everything you eer wanted to know about GPS.

Old 05-13-2001, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

Your pictures look good WyoRider! That's so cool having it set up for street use.

Do you have any other work done to it other than the Toomey's?

I wonder what the maximum speed for the stock tires are before they start ripping themselves apart (just thinking safety you know).

I think you're right. It sounds like you're maxing out on your RPMs and have plenty power left to pull a higher gear. If you want more speed, I'd go up about 2 teeth on your rear a 1 tooth on the front may be too much.

Old 05-13-2001, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

The only thing I have is the K&N filter, Pro-Flow, Boyeseen reeds and the DynoJet kit that came with the Toomeys. I would like to try a 15t front sprocket just for fun even though I don't think it would be good for much else as it would kill the low end speed. One thing about the measurements was that I didn't really tuck down a lot going down the hill but I did tuck down as much as I could on the flat part. I don't know how much difference that makes on the downhill run. I tell you this, my right front tire is NOT balanced very well. I was getting a pretty bad shake from it. I probably won't do this stunt again any time soon because like you said the tires aren't really made for it. I think the front tires were about 1 inch wide at that speed from the centrifical force, kind a tall & skinny looking. I was too scared to try to look at the rear tires.

Old 05-13-2001, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

I know a guy who runs a 16 front, he said it was the biggest you can go...why not. And I am sure the shee can handle that. And the tires will probably hold on to 90-100mph. Not kidding. I would be surprised (and scared) that yamaha put tires with a 15% safety margin (between 75 and 85mph), knowing that most people mod their quads and do reach with minor mods more than 85mph. I wouldn't bother yet...but when you reach 100mph...you might want to slow down

Old 05-14-2001, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, I'm sure the tires would hold up. It's that shake that bothers me. I wonder if you can get ATV tires balanced like automotive tires??? Or maybe I should just be happy with what I got.

Old 05-14-2001, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

My dad runs a 17 front gear and a 41 gear on the back

Old 05-14-2001, 03:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

With all that power, you might try climbing some of the steeper hills at Walden, hehe!!! ITs actually kinda cool seeing 82 on the GPS, thats pretty fast on a quad!!

RoostKing...

Old 05-14-2001, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I did try some of the steeper hills. I got stuck about 5 times and figured I better stick to something easier... Until a couple of hours ago I didn't realize there was any photographic evidence of me being stuck... but there is. I'll just live vicariously through you.