Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak leaking antifreeze!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2001, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2000 Kodiak is leaking antifreeze. I don't have a shop manual so I'm not sure of the name for the part it's leaking from. Below the oil dipstick and behind the oil drain plug but to the rear of the waterpump housing. I checked the radiator and it's full but the overflow tank is down about a half pint(maybe). I looked closely at the waterpump housing and it's dry. The part it's leaking from is a rubbery protrusion from the engine caseing with two bolts with washers beside it. Help!

2000 Kodiak 4X4 Beige
Warn Winch 2000lb
Mooseplow 5'
Titan 589's 25X10X12

Old 05-21-2001, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

This is a new one on me. My water pump has been replaced two times so far. The last pump that was put on has a clear plastic tube haning down from the bottom of the pump. Does yours have that tube? My others didnt and most people dont have it. Im thinking this might be a new water pump design. Sorry I cant help you with your leak.

Old 05-21-2001, 08:26 AM
Trailblazer

I was at an ATV Club Rally this weekend, but I was with out my machine as the waterpump is being replaced. I was wondering how many of you that had the waterpump go out preasure wash your machines? I do and feel that that could have caused the waterpump to die.

Old 05-21-2001, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

It's definitely your waterpump that has gone out.

Old 05-21-2001, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer

So NINman, what do you think pressure washing has to do with waterpumps going? I presure wash mine after every ride.

Damguy

Old 05-21-2001, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

I was told that the preasure could have damanaged the seals of the waterpump. Same idea as the CV boots you could get a nice amount of water in the boots and cause the barrings to become damanged. Now I am going to presure wash my still .. I am just going to be a little more careful of the engine.

Old 05-22-2001, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

FKNA,
Why do you say definately when the waterpump housing isn't leaking? Do you know something?

Damguy

Old 05-22-2001, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

Damguy....I say that based on the location you said the antifreeze is leaking from. My water pump has gone out twice and the leak appeared to be in the same area that you described. However, upon closer inspection (you need to remove some things) one could see it was coming from the water pump.

Old 05-23-2001, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem, as others have said, it is a design flaw in the 2k model which I had fixed by the dealer for free. Even though it was out of warranty. Go to your dealer and insist that it be fixed under warranty. I called customer service and they took care of it. Don't let them give you a line, it is a flaw that they should fix. I haven't had any problems since they fixed it.

Old 05-23-2001, 01:58 PM
Mac
Range Rover

Well I have about 1500 miles on my Y2k kodiak and so far no leaks but did over heated last summer and caused the antifreeze to boil out the over flow tank. I guess I'am lucky so far about the water pump. Now I have Jinx me machine

Mac The Red Rhino member of the HO Train
Be riding over in the Hurley area this Memorial weekend hope to see any of ya there

Warn winch
26" bearclaws on alum rims
hot grips
black rear hardbox
red handguards
added after market brake switch and light to box
gas can rack
Future mod High Lifter Detroit locker (if $ is reasonable)

Quick Reply: Kodiak leaking antifreeze!