Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak leaking antifreeze!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brought it to the dealer I bought it from yesterday. Sais he's only replaced one waterpump on the new Kodiaks. Claims dirt gets into some weep hole and rusts the impeller shaft which doesn't allow proper seal hence leaking. I'm out of warranty and don't want to waste my time arguing with Yamaha over their "we don't have problems attitude". Dealer said he can replace the seals and cleanup the shaft cheaper than replacing the entire pump. He sure is knowledgable considering he's only replaced one pump. Weather's too nice to waste time in the shop, so the sooner I'm riding the happier I'll be. Thanks for everyones input!

Happy Trails.....damguy

Old 05-25-2001, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

When I had my new pump put on "under warranty" it listed on the invoice at $111.99. Like I said before this is a new pump and is different than my old one. Also this was the second one put on for me. The first pump that was replaced was like the original one that came on the Kodiak. If it goes out again insist on a new pump. The part number is 5GH-12420-00-00. If you check out the microfinch at www.ronnies.com you will see that this part number is different than the one on their website. So this tells me its an updated pump. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2001, 02:30 PM
Trailblazer

I know it's cheaper and quicker for your dealer to polish up the shaft and replace the seals, but your looking at more problems down the road. If the shaft is pitted or scratched bad enough to make the original seal leak then it will have to be polished down enough to remove all imperfections or the new seal will only last a short time. If the shaft is polished enough to remove all pits and scratches needless to say it will be anywhere from .005 to .010 smaller than it's supposed to be. Unless your dealer can find a seal that is designed for a slightly smaller shaft, the repair is going to be short term as well and may leave you hanging when you need it the most. If you're in a pinch and really need your ride, go for it. But I would go ahead and have them order you a new pump because you're going to need it sooner or later. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 05-25-2001, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

I've been thinking about it since I brought the Kodiak in to the dealer so I called him back today. He said there's only one moving part in the pump and that's the shaft/impeller. He said if you replace the entire pump it's easier but your paying for parts you really don't need like the housing and the pump housing. I was under the impression he was only cleaning up the old shaft but he plans on replacing the impeller/shaft and the seals and sais that should do it fine. Wish me luck!

Damguy

Old 05-25-2001, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

Just a note to all of you that are pressure washing your machines...if you have access to a garden hose, hook it up to hot water and wash your machines that way. My hubby and I do it everytime we ride, and it works better (in our opinion). It is a pain to have to unhook the washer and hook up the garden hose, but it saves money (usually takes us about $8.00 per machine to pressure wash), and works better. And you can spend time getting into the nooks and crannies without worrying about if you are gonna run out of money. Just a suggestion.

Old 05-27-2001, 09:43 AM
Trailblazer

When my wife and I both had quads I figured about $8.00 each washing at the car wash and decided to go to Sears and get my own power washer. No I wash everything with it! You just have to be careful on your quad that you don't direct the spray at any seals or bearings. I'm always getting ragged on by riding buddies that my quad is just too clean! There just jealous I know.

Damguy

Old 05-28-2001, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Damguy....if they don't replace the ENTIRE waterpump, just watch it. Make sure you keep tools with you at all times so you can get to the radiator if you need to. Everyone I have spoken to (including myself) has had waterpump problems a second time around when they did not replace the entire water pump.