Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bearing on a 1992 Banshee

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 01:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bearing on my friends Banshee just went out and I get to help him fix it. How hard is it to replace? Any words of wisdom to help me on this.

Old 05-30-2001, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

Which bearing?

Crank? pain in the ***

Real axle housing? Not to bad

Do you know how many bearings are in a banshee???

Old 05-30-2001, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

hey banshbrad,

my crank is in need of a right seal. i already have the motor out, but havent gone tearing into it. is this a lot of work? do i have to split the cases? not just the clutch side case, but split the case so the top comes off and i have to take my top end off?

thanks for the help,,,

also should i replace the bearings while in there?

Old 05-31-2001, 07:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

H300F, to replace your crank seal you will need to split the cases. It not a hard job, but its not easy either.... just time consuming. The crank seals are easy to replace, just swap your old ones with new ones. You MUST replace both crank seals at the same time... dont just replace one side and not the other. Yes you will have to remove your cylinders, you will also have to remove your clutch basket, flywheel, kickstarter assembly and stator. Remove the 6 bolts on the top of the case, then flip the engine over and remove the 6 bolts found on the bottom of the engine case. DONT PRY THE CASES APART, tap lightly on the cases and wiggle and pull the case halves till the "goop" that holds the 2 case halves together lets go of its bond. The crank seals are found at either end of the crankshaft. If you have the cases apart you sould buy a whole bottom end seal kit and replace every seal in the bottom end. You asked "should i replace the bearings while in there?" The answer is "NO". The stock Banshee crankshaft is not rebuilable. You can have your stock crank bearings, journals and connecting rods pressed off the crank, but to reasseble the crank you will need to install rebuildable inner webs.... and then have everything pressed back onto the crankshaft... a much easier, cheaper and smarter thing to do when you need to replace your crankshaft main bearings is to buy a new HotRods crankshaft made by Wiseco. Tony Doukas Racing sells a nice HotRods equipped, trued and welded crankshaft with rebuilable inner webs for around $350ish.... a new Wiseco HotRods crank sells for around $400ish... Use Yamabond or Hondabond when sealing the case halves back togheter. Good luck removing the flywheel, it will not come without a "flywheel puller". DONT pry on your flywheel, buy a puller.

Hope I made some sense .... im a reg at the BansheeHQ forums and im a new guy here at this forum... plan on posting here more often. Great forum here.

meat ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> http://www.geocities.com/thebansheezone

Old 05-31-2001, 10:45 AM
Range Rover

Sorry. It is the rear axle bearing.

Old 05-31-2001, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

Rear axle bearing really isn't all that hard.. however it takes so strenght to break loose the rear axle bolts if they are locked tight...

The bearings can also be a pain to get out... but they come out...

Last time I did it, I took me 2 hours start to finish.

Brad

Old 05-31-2001, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for your help meat. by the way i will buy the veto flywheel puller.